New Lounger
    Melbourne, Australia, Victoria, Australia
    Thanks

Install Win98 over Win95

Hello, When installing Win98 onto a PC that currently has Win95, do I need to re-format the hard disk or can I just install over the top. Will I lose documents if I install over the top? Thanks, Anthony.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Install Win98 over Win95

It's possible to do it either way. You should not lose documents by upgrading to Win98. Nevertheless, you should always back up your data regularly, & certainly before anything major. If you reformat, of course, you lose your data.

I should say that I haven't done this personally; however, most of what I've read suggests that a clean install will have fewer problems.

Hope this helps.

ileacy

One warning, get a record of ALL your device configurations. You might need to reset a device to custom settings after the upgrade.

Lounger
    Thanks

Before installing Windows 98, get a printout of all your device resources and settings by right clicking on My Computer, Selecting Properties, Device Manager, and clicking print. Don't select the detailed option or you will get forty odd pages of details.

Once the system is running well under 98 it's worthwhile doing another printout for your own records.