Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Does BOINC shorten the life of my hardware?

Using BOINC for seti@home, Rosetta Stone, etc. runs my computer & hard drive constantly: that's what it does. Does this shorten the life of my hardware?

Thanks
    I would say yes as SSD drives have a finite amount of writes they can handle and spinners will eventually fail due to mechanical breakdown.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Browni For This Useful Post:

rogermartin (2015-05-23)

Thanks
    The above listed programs may only shorten the life of your system if they are taxing to the extent of creating
    excessive heat and mechanical wear.

On MY system, probably not. On yours, I couldn't say.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

rogermartin (2015-05-23)

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Any use of your computer will shorten its life so I recommend you just don't use it!

cheers, Paul

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

Fascist Nation (2015-05-24)

Thanks
    Long long ago, I gave up Seti@home operations 'cause I did not know how to run it on a RAM-drive.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

9. The Following User Says Thank You to RolandJS For This Useful Post:

rogermartin (2015-05-23)

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Protein Folding with Folding@home seems to me to be a more productive use of your spare CPU cycles.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Protein Folding with Folding@home seems to me to be a more productive use of your spare CPU cycles.

...know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em...
    Last edited by RolandJS; 2015-05-25 at 10:12.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.

Thanks
    Or maybe Bitcoin mining.
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm going to say yes, it probably shorten the life of your computer somewhat. At the same time I don't think that should be your primary consideration.

You bought your computer to be used, yes? Does BOINC interest you or add value to your life? Do you feel like contributing to society via BOINC? Then go ahead and do so without regard to the computer lifespan considerations.

The thing is, the computer is primarily an electronic device. Failures largely come from the mechanical components (fans, keyboards, mice). Also overheating is a bad thing. The current stats on modern SSDs are that they last longer than expected (7-9 years under even very heavy use, last I saw).

However unless you overclocked your computer and failed to pay attention to the cooling issues that can arise, most of these issues are "business as usual" items. Your computer can fail with these problems whether you use BOINC or not. The incremental wear and tear of BOINC is going to be small and impossible to measure unless you specifically set out to do that. And even then, you could only do it statistically, with large numbers of computers being measured.

Therefore I wouldn't worry about the additional wear that BOINC adds. It's like worrying about wearing socks with sandals.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BHarder For This Useful Post:

rogermartin (2015-06-03),ruosChalet (2015-05-29)

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BHarder View Post
    It's like worrying about wearing socks with sandals.
    Ahhh!

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Besides what everyone else has been saying too...
    If you upgrade your system every 4-5 years, like I do, the question would be completely irrelevant.
    Even if you were to keep it for longer I still don't think it would be of any material relavance.

You'd have to be pushing the thermal specs to the wall on a continuous basis, not beyond the realm of possibility
    on some of the pathetic systems I've come across, but very unlikely.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

rogermartin (2015-06-03)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Can you control how much cpu usage seti@home or folding@home uses? The reason i ask is that some years ago we dedicated a refurbished PC to folding@home, and cpu usage was 100% all the time. Because of that the cpu ran too hot and we eventually abandoned the project. If it were possible to limit cpu usage and/or gpu usage to some reasonable amount, say, 50% then we might get involved again! Does anyone know if the BOINC projects now allow such adjustments?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by starvinmarvin View Post
    Can you control how much cpu usage seti@home or folding@home uses? The reason i ask is that some years ago we dedicated a refurbished PC to folding@home, and cpu usage was 100% all the time. Because of that the cpu ran too hot and we eventually abandoned the project. If it were possible to limit cpu usage and/or gpu usage to some reasonable amount, say, 50% then we might get involved again! Does anyone know if the BOINC projects now allow such adjustments?
    I just checked Seti and MooWrapper, and both of them have this feature. In your account on your favorite BOINC application's website, you'll see a "Computing Preferences" section. Under that, there are settings to control how many cpu's to use (for multi-cpu machines), and what percentage of the cpu time to use.

I'm set to use all 8 cpu's (16 threads) and 100% of the cpu time on my main computer. I'm also using 100% of the power of my graphics card. Most of the BOINC tasks I run are very good about running at low priority and getting out of the way quickly when I want to run a cpu-intensive task of my own. So I generally don't notice any difference in responsiveness between when I'm running BOINC and when I'm not. I installed an inexpensive but pretty good "all in one" water cooler on my cpu chip, and I find that I can run it flat-out as above and with a small amount of overclocking, without exceeding the recommended temperatures for my cpu (an i7-5960X) and GPU

As to computer lifetime: I've been running this way for 12 years and three home-built computers. My experience is that the computer begins to seem slow and obsolete well before it wears out (except for a fan or two - which are cheap and easy to replace). In fact, in addition to my newest computer (described above), I'm still running the previous machine, built in 2009, specifically for BOINC computations. It's still working fine, and I expect to add a new high-performance graphics to greatly speed up BOINC computing.

/Dave

20. The Following User Says Thank You to DavidD For This Useful Post:

rogermartin (2015-06-03)

Thanks
    I never did it, however, I remember back in the WFW311 days, some would load all of seti@home up onto their RAM-drive, run it, save all data to hard-drive on the fly, then sometimes restart or shutdown.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Folding allows you to set a CPU %. I don't bother because it can have one of my cores and I the other - rarely over 70% CPU.

cheers, Paul

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast