2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Win7 apparently dying by inches

My HP Elite Book laptop running Win7 freezes (any and all programs) randomly, opening a program can take up to 3 minutes, even if its the first one I open, Firefox 38 often slows to a crawl, I've had 3 blue screens of death in a week, hibernation takes more than 45 minutes to happen, and 75% of the time, on restarting the computer, it does a chkdsk. If I shut down the computer ranther than hibernate it starts just fine and doesn't do a chkdsk but the other problems remain. The independent company that has built my computers for the past 20+ years, and found this used one for me, now contracts to work on various business computer systems, so isn't available. Before I try to find a new independent company, I'd like to try to fix it myself with your help. I am really hoping not to need to replace this laptop until Win10.

Although I've had computers since DOS days, Win7 's inner workings are beyond me, so talk to me in words of one syllable, please.

Thanks
    Read this, post the zipped file back here and I'll dig into it for you.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you for help but ??

I downloaded and ran the program, but I'm not sure how to post the results back, so I can only hope it happens correctly. That's one of the things I haven't had to do before.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks
    Zip contents look complete, nice work, I'll study them next.

Thanks
    Bad news, all 3 crashes are down to "DISK_HARDWARE_ERROR: There was error with disk hardware", you need to get your vital data stored away from that PC as soon as possible.

It's very likely that the hard drive is failing, use the computer as little as possible, it's not going to improve, it might completely fail at any time.

Copy all your important files over to an external HDD.

Replace the hard drive and reinstall Windows.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Doubly bad news, but thank you

Quote Originally Posted by satrow View Post
    Bad news, all 3 crashes are down to "DISK_HARDWARE_ERROR: There was error with disk hardware", you need to get your vital data stored away from that PC as soon as possible.

It's very likely that the hard drive is failing, use the computer as little as possible, it's not going to improve, it might completely fail at any time.

Copy all your important files over to an external HDD.

Replace the hard drive and reinstall Windows.
    The hard drive is not replaceable because no one makes one that fits the space. The shop has searched for me because I wanted something substantially bigger. I will contact the shop and see if they still have the one other of this computer they had.

I will do a complete back up of my data (all in my C:\Data folder, thank goodness, rather than where Microsoft thinks data should be kept!) and stop using this. Thank you *so, so* much.

Thanks
    There are still a number of these 1.8" Micro SATA drives available (yours is a SAMSUNG HS12VJF 120GB), such as this one: http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Digit.../dp/B00DCUKKK0

EDIT: There should also be 240, 480GB drives from the same model range if you need bigger capacity.

EDIT #2: The above are SSD drives, your original was a HDD, there are still signs of these being advertised: http://www.amazon.com/MK1629GSG-Tosh.../dp/B003FF73HU and http://www.wholesale-laptop-parts.or...roducts_id=758 are 2 examples of the slightly larger capacity 160GB.
    Last edited by satrow; 2015-05-22 at 22:53.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm amazed you could pull that much info from the data I sent you. I will still try "my" computer shop first. Even if I bought one of the amazon.com ones, I'd still have to find a reputable, preferablly independent, shop to install it and then (or perhaps first) attempt to pull all the data off mine. Tomorrow I will try both a total backup to my external hard drive and a plain copy of all my data to the same external hard drive.

I can shop for new laptops locally tomorrow--not that
    a) I want anything to do with Windows 8.
    b) I can afford a new computer.
    c) I expect any local shop to carry anything as small as I want that will do what I want.

And thank you again for the time you've taken to help me!

Thanks
    @ areader

Re your #8 post

(a) stay as far as possible from Windows 8 - Windows 7 is totally reliable, Win8 is a disaster

(b) "not that" 'I can afford a new computer' - I take that to mean you were not looking to replace your current laptop just yet. Read on.

(c) "I expect any local shop to carry anything as small as I want that will do what I want" is (in my experience) unrealistic. The reality is that local computer shops are usually too concerned with "walk-in/walk-out" customers to deal in-depth with the kind of problem you have.

As satrow has indicated you have the option of continuing with your current computer but with a new HDD or SSD. It is up to you whether you want to learn how to fit a new drive, but we are here to help if you decide to go that way.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Take heart !

A year ago I upgraded the 1.8" HDD on a laptop to 160GB.

1. I found the HDD on Amazon pretty quickly
    2. To my relief, fitting it turned out to be dead easy - just a matter of researching how to do it (I found a YouTube clip, also the manufacturer's maintenance handbook online) taking it slowly and following the instructions carefully.

Thanks
    @ areader

Since from your #1 post you have Win7 on your laptop it should not be very hard to copy your Win7 partition to a new HDD/SSD.

If you choose an SSD make sure it has enough capacity, i.e.: it appears your present HDD is 120GB, so any replacement HDD/SSD should be greater capacity, i.e.: 160GB or more. 256GB SSD or 320GB HDD would make sense. SSD will be much faster than HDD.
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for your reply. When I said I can't afford a new computer, I meant exactly that: I'm retired on fixed income and simply don't have that kind of money lying around, not with 3 things dying within one week. A new laptop is the least necessary of the three. The reason I want an independent shop is I expect to bring them my original Windows 7 disc (bought the week Win7 came out) with its serial number so that I can get it installed in place of the Windows 8 which is almost certain to be on a new computer. But they need to be able to find and install appropriate Win7 drivers and updates and, if possible, keep my existing hard drive working long enough to get all my data off and onto the new hard drive. And last of my 3 comments: I want small (as in screen size under 12" diagonal), lightweight, and cheap, but still have a large hard drive, and the shop I pick needs to be able to send someone to my house to network the new laptop with my desktop, if I can't get that to happen (which I haven't with my existing set up). And they have to be able to build my next desktop to my specs, inside my existing case if possible. And, lastly, pie in the sky, be able to convince the phone company to send fiber optic lines to my part of town, when they have them in all the surrounding neighborhoods, or give me a rebate on my DSL rates going back at least 5 years!

As to putting in a new hard drive myself, I'm not physically able. If I could, I would love to learn how to do that.
    Last edited by areader; 2015-05-23 at 09:18. Reason: correct bad grammar

Thanks
    @ areader

Wherever you are in the world there will be someone nearby who can help you.

Much of my efforts involve people much like you; you need to find someone in your area who can attend on you to help you with the problem you have. There will be someone, but you must give them a chance by taking the trouble to find out who they are and contacting them.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Where in the world are you? We may know someone in your neck of the woods.

cheers, Paul

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I found a local independent shop that deals in used Mac and Windows computers and they can come to my house if I can't get my network working. The guy listened to what I said and said it sounds very much like a dying hard drive, but they would prefer to diagnose themselves. He said they don't have anything right now, but it's nearing the end of the month and they will have more computers next month. He also asked for the link to this thread so he can get the data I uploaded, which I sent. And lastly, he said to copy things off rather than use a program to back up. When I copy things I can do it in chunks, getting the most important data first, and then working my way down to non-vital stuff and stuff duplicated from my desktop for convenience. And if I'm super lucky, when I find a "new" laptop, the old hard drive will last long enough for them to transfer my data so it will all be there when I turn on the new computer.

One thing I like is that they're open on Saturdays but closed on Mondays. He said that's because Salem is the state capital and many state employees are off on Mondays.

Things are looking up! Thank you all for your your help.