Thanks

Download problems (5.5)

Having trouble with downloads, for instance trying to download an update to Zone Alarm, but it happens on other downloads too.

If I try to get the download I want, I see a Quick Time logo in the middle of the screen, the progress bar moves along to the end, and then the Quick Time logo is replaced by an image of a broken film frame, then I get a message saying 'Quick Time is missing software required to perfrom this operation. Unfortunately it is not available on the Quick Time server'.

I have tried (1) removing QT from the PC and then downloading and installing the latest version of it (2) changing as many file typesas I can find to be associated with Real Player instead of Quick Time player - all to no avail.

Sometimes I can get round it by right clicking the link and using 'Save target as...' but not every download link seems to work like that.

Any ideas.

(PS - sorry if this is the wrong formum for this question.)

Ian

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Download problems (5.5)

Have you tried using an alternate download product: such as <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.getright.com/>getright</A>? I appreciate that this will not clean up IE, but - if loaded before you launch IE - it will offer to download for you. It is shareware - fully functional "nag"ware (as opposed to "limited time period trial"ware).

HTH
    Grüße

Thanks

Re: Download problems (5.5)

Thanks for the idea. I have upgraded to IE6 and it may be that this has solved it. - Ian