Thanks

Download problems (5.5)

Having trouble with downloads, for instance trying to download an update to Zone Alarm, but it happens on other downloads too.

If I try to get the download I want, I see a Quick Time logo in the middle of the screen, the progress bar moves along to the end, and then the Quick Time logo is replaced by an image of a broken film frame, then I get a message saying 'Quick Time is missing software required to perfrom this operation. Unfortunately it is not available on the Quick Time server'.

I have tried (1) removing QT from the PC and then downloading and installing the latest version of it (2) changing as many file typesas I can find to be associated with Real Player instead of Quick Time player - all to no avail.

Sometimes I can get round it by right clicking the link and using 'Save target as...' but not every download link seems to work like that.

Any ideas.

(PS - sorry if this is the wrong formum for this question.)

Ian

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Download problems (5.5)

Have you tried using an alternate download product: such as <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.getright.com/>getright</A>? I appreciate that this will not clean up IE, but - if loaded before you launch IE - it will offer to download for you. It is shareware - fully functional "nag"ware (as opposed to "limited time period trial"ware).

HTH
    Grüße

Thanks

Re: Download problems (5.5)

Thanks for the idea. I have upgraded to IE6 and it may be that this has solved it. - Ian