New Lounger
    Thanks

USB3 speed theory vs.practice

Data transfer speeds via USB port are very different. It certainly related on system settings (win7_64bit) as well as file type, USB2/3, etc.
    My question is related to USB3 transfer, which should be the fastest, but sometimes it's frustratingly slow. I tried several new USB3 external hdds (WDpassport edge 500GB, Adata HV620_500), various flash memory. At the beginning of the big file transfer (1GB), it sets off in cca90MB/sec, then it slows down to 4KB/s. It's somehow improve? Update drivers, or something? I use both Windows Explorer or Total Commander, it's the same.
    Thanks for your advice or tip for acceleration.
    Peter

Thanks
    Yeah, I've yet to reach anywhere near USB 3.0 "advertised" speeds. That is even with mechanical & or SSD drive on
    a brand spanking new X99 chipset. It still seems slow to me, although I havn't actually clocked it, I'm certain it's more than 90, but varies sporadically throughout the transfer.

*You could try a USB chipset update if your board is up for one. Chipset updates should always be performed
    when a new one comes out. If you've got an older board, say early USB 3.0 adaptation, you'll likely not see one.
    *Perform a fresh boot before attempting to transfer large files, just to clear out the memory.
    *Take note of other processes on the system that may be using memory the same time your about to make
    a file transfer with USB 3.0 and close them.
    *getting into the practice of keeping a clean and lean system will usually boad well for USB transfer speeds too.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It ain't pretty. It never is. I remember a discussion about this including input from the USB Stds. Committee (whatever they are called). If I find it I will post the link. Based on prior speed claims for various I/O ports you get what you actually get and over a couple of years you get twice the original speed via various tweaks from various sources. But if it is 10% of what the spec authors claim at the beginning it is doing well.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've seen the same thing. In general:

- Some USB 3 devices fail to be recognized by USB 3 ports. The USB device cannot be used until the computer attaches it correctly;
    - I've had very good luck with those same USB 3 devices in USB 2 ports. The device then works fine though at slower speed of course. Windows then taunts you with messages that "this device could work faster" messages,
    - A few very large files transfer much, much faster than thousands of very small files. The difference is dramatic, on the order of 10X - 100X speed difference.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Here is the link I remembered that I thought might apply to this discussion:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...urbo,3215.html

It does not since it is really for attached (external) mass storage drives.

Here are a few more that I explored for explanation (found in history):
    http://event.asus.com/mb/2010/The_Be...For_USB3.0.htm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_3....ynchronization

http://vr-zone.com/articles/usb-3-0-...dup/13358.html