Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

How do I get XPMode to read from the physical A: drive of the host machine.

Problem resolved.
    Last edited by roundmot; 2015-05-23 at 09:04. Reason: Problem resolved

Thanks
    Well that was easy!
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    How did you do it?

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    I have Windows XP mode at home, I'd like to know how you solved it, so I can do your solution!
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Looks like my declaration of victory was premature. I am attempting to install a program on my XPMode VM, but by default the program tries to access an unlock code that is stored on a 3.5 Diskette in the A: drive. XPMode has what it calls A: drive, but it is apparently a virtual drive. I have tried everything I know to do, and everything MSFT techs knew to do, to get XPMode to read from the physical A: drive of the host Win7/74 machine. In the case of my installation need, I was finally able to get the host Win7/64 machine to at least unlock the files on the host, and I then set the two machines up to share files with each other. In this case, I was only able to get XPMode to read the file on the host, but that was enough for me.

I would still like to find a way to get XPMode to recognize the physical A: drive of the Win7/64 host machine and would appreciate any help.

An alternative would be to find out where the XPMode VM stores any data on its virtual A: drive.

jwoods
    You might consider setting up XP Mode to run using VMWare Player...

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/10911...irtualization/

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Does this post help?
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com...um=w7itprovirt

cheers, Paul

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwoods View Post
    You might consider setting up XP Mode to run using VMWare Player...

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/10911...irtualization/

I agrees, most every aspect of virtualization is more capably handled by the free VMWare Player...Floppy status, Auto detect, checkbox for Use physical drive...done. An old version of VMWare player will even convert an XPMode install to a WMWare player machine...which means it works anywhere, anytime without needing an original install.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, I have everything working except this one stubborn program. I use the computer for family, business, and ministry, so I have well over 350 programs and utilities installed between the Win 7 host and the XPMode VM, so starting over is out of the question. Took me three weeks to get it all configured the way I want. :-)

I found that post "I need a drive A:\ in XP mode", but honestly, I didn't understand anything they said. I am pretty good at some computer software related things, but for some reason I just haven't been able to grasp this whole VM concept, so I don't know where to start to follow the posters' instructions. They lost me with, "You can get into the BIOS manually when you start the VM, by pressing SHIFT+ESC to open the console window and then pressing the DEL key to enter the BIOS. This needs to be done quickly as soon as the VM is started from a powered down state." and "Right-click on the XP virtual machine and select "settings"."

???

I tried to do what I thought they were telling me to do, but the machine just laughed at me. I even threatened it and said a few things I can't repeat here, but it didn't cooperate. :-)

I managed to find the Windows Virtual PC Settings dialog in the VPC but it does not allow any changes in the A:\ drive, only the DVD. That was far as the Microsoft tech was willing to go to solve the problem.

I clicked on the Windows XP Mode icon to open the VPC and immediately pressed the Del key repeatedly, but it never goes to BIOS. And I do not know what they are referring to when they say to "Right-click on the XP virtual machine and select "settings"."

If anyone has any step by step clarification they are willing to share, I would appreciate the response. It sounds to me like that is the solution I could use.

TIA
    Last edited by roundmot; 2015-05-24 at 09:36.

Thanks
    ...and before you do anything of that nature involving OS & XP mode, make sure you have at least on two separate ext HDs at least one restorable copy if not two restorable copies of OS and data images done by something akin to either Macrium Reflect or Acronis True Image. Restorable, meaning you actually tested the backup by restoring a folder or a few files.
    As Abraham Lincoln supposedly said:
    Your backup is only as happy as you make the restorable be.
    Last edited by RolandJS; 2015-05-24 at 09:40.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I would naturally expect the Virtual A:\ to point to some file or folder on the PC. It would seem reasonable to me that I should be able to simply copy the necessary data into that location and the VM system would find it. However, as always, nothing with Win7 is that easy, so why am I surprised?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Excellent advice learned the hard way, no doubt.

I will never forget the time I had two tape backups of my entire system and all of my docs, and my tape backup drive failed when I attempted a restore, and it despooled both tapes. Fun times.

Thanks
    May be ...from a command line in the VPC
    enter

subst a: c:\phonyA

where c:\phonyA is a directory of the Virtual HDD into which you have copied the contents of the floppy.

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by roundmot View Post
    ...I had two tape backups...
    You remember TallGrass, which almost never ever failed? My dad's company's accountants used it for their two 286 accounting computers [20MB HDs, Lotus 123, dBASE 3, WordPerfect, all DOS-based].

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RolandJS View Post
    You remember TallGrass, which almost never ever failed? My dad's company's accountants used it for their two 286 accounting computers [20MB HDs, Lotus 123, dBASE 3, WordPerfect, all DOS-based].
    I think they call those the "good ol' days."

I remember when Microsoft used to give unlimited FREE tech support of all their products, including help writing formulas for Excel, and unlimited support tweaking Windows. If they still did that, I wouldn't still be looking for a solution to my A:\ drive problem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast