Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Useless programs?

Hey you all!

Im making a cleaning batch that in one point deletes useless programs. So at one point the batch defines the computer model "lenovo" "hewlett-packard" "dell" etc. and tries to delete the known crap programs that normally are pre-installed in according models. So ie. lenovo part would delete programs like:

Code:
    wmic product where "name like 'Lenovo Registration%%'" call uninstall /nointeractive > NUL
    wmic product where "name like 'Lenovo User Guide%%'" call uninstall /nointeractive > NUL
    wmic product where "name like 'Message Center Plus%%'" call uninstall /nointeractive > NUL
    wmic product where "name like 'Lenovo ThinkVantage Toolbox%%'" call uninstall /nointeractive > NUL
    wmic product where "name like 'ThinkVantage %%'" call uninstall /nointeractive > NUL
    Now im asking you all what programs you've come across with different systems that are useless. Thanks!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    PC Decrapifier already does this http://www.pcdecrapifier.com/.

Thanks
    And why just 'useless' ? How about all the blatant "Spyware" that's pre-loaded by HP and other manufacturers?
    DO, get rid of "Wild Tangent Games"....= SPYWARE!

Yes, there are already programs written to clean out the Crap. One, the Decrapifier, was already mentioned. I've used it quite a bit myself.

So don't waste your time, trying to reinvent the wheel.

Cheers Mate!
    The Doctor
    Last edited by DrWho; 2015-05-28 at 10:15.
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hey

Yes I am aware of such software, still that aint what im asking. I dont have time to scroll guis and menus selecting what i want and what not. Like said, the whole idea is to just fire up the batch on computers when needed and it will do everything so that i can tend to other things.

Thanks
    Lari, I hope you will send me a copy of your batchfile as it evolves! I like your idea!
    [Well, once I receive the basic core which simply repeats with each addition program to remove -- I'm in hog heaven!]

Now, concerning useless programs: I think your adding one by one by one any program you run across is the only way to go. Because almost every desktop, every laptop, that comes preloaded with OS also comes with manufacturer's utilities and other stuff. Some of those utilities and other stuff I kept because they were needed to be reloaded later. Much of the stuff, many utilities I simply uninstalled via CTL-PNL/Programs or Revo.
    A few useless programs:
    -- early versions of Adobe Acrobat Reader
    -- early versions of backup/restore utilities
    -- movies & internet URLs "installs"
    -- this list is endless...
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RolandJS View Post
    Lari, I hope you will send me a copy of your batchfile as it evolves! I like your idea!
    [Well, once I receive the basic core which simply repeats with each addition program to remove -- I'm in hog heaven!]

Now, concerning useless programs: I think your adding one by one by one any program you run across is the only way to go. Because almost every desktop, every laptop, that comes preloaded with OS also comes with manufacturer's utilities and other stuff. Some of those utilities and other stuff I kept because they were needed to be reloaded later. Much of the stuff, many utilities I simply uninstalled via CTL-PNL/Programs or Revo.
    A few useless programs:
    -- early versions of Adobe Acrobat Reader
    -- early versions of backup/restore utilities
    -- movies & internet URLs "installs"
    -- this list is endless...
    Yes i most certain can send it. The code evolves in pieces and atm it check the computer vendor and deletes programs accordingly and in another general section it deletes crapware that can be on any computer.

And to make the vendor based uninstaller part better I need to know what people have come across with. And the general crapware too.

Thanks
    Hi Lari, you might gain further details by studying logs posted online from AdwCleaner (search example: AdwCleaner +"Report created") and JRT, amongst others.

Thanks
    Lari, I added a %1 function, removed /nointeractive & >NUL, so that I can test your cool stuff on a specific un-needed program Will keep you posted.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    satrow, thank you! I definetly will take a look at those!

RolandJS, tell me how it went! ill be sending you the current batch soon!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lari Harjunen View Post
    ...RolandJS, tell me how it went! ill be sending you the current batch soon!
    Looking forward to it Will test this evening on some things that won't be missed.

--------------------------------------------------
    rem this batcfhile, by Lari Harjunen/WSL, needs to be run in a dos box
    pause [%1] = '[%1]%%'" call uninstall; /nointeractive & > NUL rjs-removed
    wmic product where "name like '%1%%'" call uninstall
    pause
    exit
    --------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by RolandJS; 2015-05-27 at 14:34.

Thanks
    Now im asking you all what programs you've come across with different systems that are useless. Thanks!
    That would be a bit subjective as I would consider just about anything a vender installs as crapware, unless I actually want or prefer it. (rare)

This is what I might consider as added bloat, or unnecessary programs:
    *Any application that purports to get drivers updated. (I know how & prefer to do this on my own)
    *All forms of help. (I don't want help with applications I'm going to uninstall)
    *Any and all forms of add-on bloat software associated with drivers.
    Especially with devices you don't plan on using.
    *Any and all forms of trial ware. (everything from antivirus to Office)
    *Any and all forms of imaging and or restoration applications. (I always use my own)

That batchfiles' not a bad idea, but it seems like a hell of a lot of work to me, not to mention the variances between venders installations
    and the high propensity for potential errors and failures.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks

Cool

A batch file can only remove files and folders, but if the program (junkware) in question has already been installed into Windows there's those (maybe) thousands of Registry Entries that will remain, Untouched. (causing registry Bloat!)

As part of the setup on a new PC, I will install and run "Revo Uninstaller, FREE" and use it to not only get rid of unwanted programs, but all their Registry Entries as well.

A batch file DOES work amazingly well for doing a daily cleanup on a pc, getting rid of temp files, Temporary Internet Files, and all files with extensions like, , .bak, .~mp, etc.

For each version of Windows, since XP, I've written Cleanup.bat batch-files that run from the Startup folder, for an automatic Daily Cleanup. This works great to keep down the buildup of CRAP on the hard drive and is especially useful for those people who basically refuse to to any maintenance on their own computers.

Cheers Mates!
    The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Thanks
    OP's batchfile, which I added a couple of things, calls up wmic & uninstall

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by thomasjk View Post
    PC Decrapifier already does this http://www.pcdecrapifier.com/.
    Nearly spurted my coffee over my keyboard when I saw the name of this app

Thanks
    clippy, my next door neighbor told me about a term: shard; however, let's let this sleeping dog lay.

Lari, I did test your batchfile, albeit modified by me so that I can see the goodies operate, and it appears to work well. I will test on some stuff I can afford to miss, and will report back to you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast