Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lounger
    Thanks

Can't send attachments (pictures)

Visited a friend in Germany a few weeks ago and he said he can't send pictures as attachments with Outlook. I don't think the files were particularly big and I was baffled.

I don't use Outlook, but thought it might be some setting, although it could be an ISP or a Windows issue.

Any thoughts???

thnx

jwoods
    Without knowing more information (file sizes, error messages, etc.) it's difficult to say.

Your friend might consider posting the photos to a site like Dropbox, and sending you the link to view them.

Thanks
    As jwoods says above any error messages would be very helpful.

Also which version of version of Outlook is being used? Is it PC based (part of Microsoft Office) or online via Outlook.com?

Lounger
    Thanks
    My friend is not at all computer savy. Suggested Dropbox as the best way to do this and he really seemed very frightened to give that a try.

jwoods
    As a test, have him attach just one picture (preferably the smallest in file size) and email it.

If that works, have him select the largest one in file size and email it.

If they both work, it may mean he was trying to email too many files at one time (which added up to some limit imposed by his ISP).

If it fails, have him record the exact error message(s) (if any) that he is getting.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I just emailed him with all of the suggested questions, but it's the middle of the night there.

I'll keep everyone posted if/when he gets back to me!

thnx

Thanks
    Yep, UK for me so i understand the time differences!

Hopefully we can get your friend sorted with a little bit more info.

Coochin may be the first to reply as it is yesterday/tomorrow where he is down under

Thanks
    It's almost 4:00PM Monday here, been attending customers all day, just got home.

Certainly need more info. Is it M$ Office Outlook? If so which version (2003/2007/2010/2013).

Or is it Outlook.com?
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Are you sure he is trying to send the pictures as attachments and not embedded images within the email? If he is actually trying to send embedded images, this is the probable solution:

I've had this problem often, especially when replying to an email from an Apple iOS system. When I try to paste a picture into the email I get a little error window saying that "Pictures will be lost". The reason is that the originating email and my reply are "Plain text". To fix it, you have to change to "HTML text". You do that by (I have Outlook 2013) clicking the "Switch to HTML" button at the bottom of the little error window. That immediately pastes the picture you were trying to paste.

Stu

Lounger
    Thanks
    I really appreciate everyone helping, but I think we're dealing with a number of issues:

1) Language (Not sure how good his English is and my German is non-existant.)

2) I think he's really unfamiliar with basic computer issues.

3) For some reason, he can't even get these pictures to upload to his Dropbox account.

He's "working with his service provider," so we'll see if anything gets resolved and I'll keep everyone posted if there's more we can do.

Thanks for helping!!!!

Lounger
    Thanks
    I think my friend's lack of computer savvy is a major issue here, but I do have another piece of the puzzle for you guys.

He has a Dropbox account and we successfully now share a folder because I sent him a picture and he can view it. He attempted to send me a number of pictures via Dropbox, but I all I rec'd was some sort of Dropbox shortcut or link. He says: "The pictures are still showing the blue circle what means, that the pictures are not yet uploaded (I checked the guidelines).

He claims he cannot send any files (pictures) from his computer via email or Dropbox. (He also sent us a DVD that he burned with the pictures, but that turned out to be blank when we rec'd it, so I'm not at all sure if that's a part of this problem or if he messed it up somehow!!??)

He'll now try to send us a memory stick with the pix.

Any ideas???? thnx

Thanks
    Plane ticket to Germany?

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Browni View Post
    Plane ticket to Germany?

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    How about the next best thing to a plane ticket to Germany? He MUST have someone he knows locally that is more knowledgeable with computers who could help him on his end. Does he?
    Stu

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sb06794 View Post
    How about the next best thing to a plane ticket to Germany? He MUST have someone he knows locally that is more knowledgeable with computers who could help him on his end. Does he?
    Stu
    I think this is where his "service provider" comes in.

If that was in the US, I'd be skeptical, but I have no idea how that sort of thing happens in Germany!
    Last edited by philherz; 2015-06-01 at 20:16.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast