2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Win7 / Ext HD / I/O Error - Drive Asleep

Hi guys. Have a Windows 7 computer w/ a Ultra Dual HD Case attached containing 2 1tb HD's giving me 2 tb of storage as one drive. USB 2.0 The drive appears to be going to sleep. The goal is to use the Ultra Dual HD Case as w/ 2tb storage as back up. When Free File Sync runs, I get I/O errors. When I attempt to access the drive from Windows Explorer, I get I/O error. If I go to Disk Management, the 2tb storage seems to come to life, and I can run Free File Sync, and access the drive from Windows Explorer. So, I think the 'Ultra HD Case' is letting the drives sleep, which is OK with me. What I need to be able to do is 'Wake Up' the drive w/ a batch file through Task Scheduler before Free File Sync is scheduled to run. My drive is E: labeled PDO_BCKUP. Can someone help me w/ a batch file that I can schedule to run that will take the place of going to 'Disk Management' and clicking on the drive to wake it up? Thank you in advance! -KST

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    KS,

Surprising but they don't have a user manual posted on their website. However, there is an email support link. I'd send them a query and see what they have to say.

I have a WD MyBook live that goes to sleep but it will wake it self when Explorer or a program tries to use it. I have a scheduled task that kicks each evening at 18:30 to back up my data partition and it always wakes up for that.

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you. So far, no response from those guys. -KST

jwoods
    Paste this VB Script code into Notepad and save it as BatchLauncher.vbs -

sTitle = "Batch launcher"

Set oArgs = WScript.Arguments
    Set oFSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
    Set oShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")

If oArgs.Count <> 1 Then
    ' Will die after 10 seconds if no one is pressing the OK button
    oShell.Popup "Error: You need to supply a file path " _
    & "as input parameter!", 10, sTitle, vbCritical + vbSystemModal

Wscript.Quit 1
    End If

sFilePath = oArgs(0)

If Not oFSO.FileExists(sFilePath) Then
    ' Will die after 10 seconds if no one is pressing the OK button
    oShell.Popup "Error: Batch file not found", _
    10, sTitle, vbCritical + vbSystemModal

Wscript.Quit 1
    End If

' add quotes around the path in case of spaces
    iRC = oShell.Run("""" & sFilePath & """", 0, True)

' Return with the same errorlevel as the batch file had
    Wscript.Quit iRC

Paste this code into Notepad and save it as WakeupDisk.bat -

dir > C:\Users\<Your User Name>\Desktop\dircontents.txt

The bold part can be removed after testing if you don't want the text file with the directory contents created on your Desktop.

In Task Manager, create a new task.

The Action will look like this...

Batch file launch action.jpg

The "Add arguments" will look something like this...

"C:\Users\Jim\Scripts\BatchLauncher.vbs" "C:\Users\Jim\Scripts\WakeupDisk.bat"

This can be used to launch any kind of batch file that does not require user prompts.
    Last edited by jwoods; 2015-05-26 at 18:12.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Wow Woods. That might be over my head. I will see if I can give it a try tomorrow. I will post back and let you know what happened. Thank you! -KST

jwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by KSTidmore View Post
    Wow Woods. That might be over my head. I will see if I can give it a try tomorrow. I will post back and let you know what happened. Thank you! -KST
    You can do it.

Create a folder called Scripts in your C:\Users\<Your User Name> folder, and save the .vbs and .bat files there.

Then, for the "Add arguments" section in the screenshot above, just change "Jim" in the path name to your user name.

All it's doing is a directory listing of C:\Windows\System32, which will "wake up" the disk.

As mentioned, the bold part in the .bat file code is just for testing purposes to prove it worked.

There won't be a test asking you to explain each line of code.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    OK. I created the folder and have the files inside. When I run the 'script' file, I get 'Error: You need to supply a file path as an input parameter!'. So.. I think I need to put a file path for something in somewhere. I'm unsure if running the file changed anything yet, although I can see the directories on the drive now, but get an I/O error when I try to open them. Thanks for not testing me! Can you advise further? Thx! -KST

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I can still go to 'Disk Management', click on the drive, and then I'm able to access the directories w/ out the I/O error. -KST

jwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by KSTidmore View Post
    OK. I created the folder and have the files inside. When I run the 'script' file, I get 'Error: You need to supply a file path as an input parameter!'. So.. I think I need to put a file path for something in somewhere. I'm unsure if running the file changed anything yet, although I can see the directories on the drive now, but get an I/O error when I try to open them. Thanks for not testing me! Can you advise further? Thx! -KST
    Are you running the .vbs and .bat files out of Task Scheduler?

The screenshot and text below it in post #4 will show you how to set up the Action tab contents.

Make sure your paths to the .vbs and .bat files are correct, and in quotes as indicated.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to jwoods For This Useful Post:

KSTidmore (2015-05-28)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    No. I was just running the script from Windows Explorer. So... Now, today, the drive seemed to be active w/ no action on my part. I could access the directories and files w/ no problem. I did go ahead and schedule the script file to run 15 min before the back up is scheduled each day. It will of course take 24 hours to see if it all works, but at this point, it looks to me like it will. Can you explain the script? Not in detail... but, does the script 'wake' my drive or does it keep it active 24/7? I will check the back up to ensure it runs tonight and post the results. Thanks Wood! I'll be back in 24 hrs w/ results! -KST

jwoods
    The dir command simply lists the contents of the current directory.

It "wakes up" the drive to do so.

When there is no further disk activity, it should follow your power settings and the drive will go back to sleep.

You can run the task manually to see if it works anytime. Just include the bold text in the .bat file noted in post #4. Remove it after testing if you don't want the text file with the directory contents created on your Desktop every time it runs.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    The first post says this is for an external drive. The power settings do not control when external drives sleep. That is in the firmware of the drive. There may be a utility program to change the drive setting but you'd have to hunt for one for the particular drive.

Joe

jwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    The first post says this is for an external drive. The power settings do not control when external drives sleep. That is in the firmware of the drive. There may be a utility program to change the drive setting but you'd have to hunt for one for the particular drive.

Joe
    Hmmm.

I was thinking that enabling the USB Selective Suspend power setting would power down any idle USB device, including an external hard drive.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to jwoods For This Useful Post:

KSTidmore (2015-05-30)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    OK guys.... 2 nights, scheduled back up to external Ultra Dual HD Enclosure a success. The only thing I think is odd is, the HD Enclosure shows both drives 'off' (light for each HD is not on), but now, no matter when I try to access the files on the external drive, I can access the files w/ out issue, and the lights for the HD's immediately light up, telling me the drives are awake and active. I do not have to run the VB Script in order to access the data. I am going to leave the VB Script scheduled for 1 minute before nightly back up just to be sure it works nightly. Can't hurt. I'm not concerned about why it's acting differently now, but it seems as if since the first time the VB Script was run, the drives now wake up on demand. Woods, again, I very much appreciate your help. I now feel confident enough to order some more of these $30 enclosures for other back up projects. The assistance received through this forum is absolutely incredible, no matter the issue. -KST

17. The Following User Says Thank You to KSTidmore For This Useful Post:

Fascist Nation (2015-05-31)