jwoods

SSD reliability after sudden power loss

This study was done by The Ohio State University and HP Labs...

https://www.usenix.org/conference/fa...entation/zheng

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I could not find any reference to drives losing data if not powered up in the report by Zheng. What it does say is that sudden power failures can result in data loss/corruption.

I would therefore recommend a full disk test after power failure and a daily backup, of course.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    The Zheng tests were done by cutting the DC supply, Paul, that's pretty artificial in itself, given that the vast majority of power cuts/failures originate from the AC side and any good PSU would 'soften' that blow with their 16ms+ hold up times, which might give the SSD controllers enough time to shut off gently, esp. those that have a super-capacitor already built in for power protection.

Any decent server room hosting SAS drives should be backed up by good UPS/generator backup and have a controlled temperature anyway, this lecture feels like it's warning against server hosting companies not to be too cheap, maybe because the RMAs from them were hitting HP's profit margins.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to satrow For This Useful Post:

Fascist Nation (2015-05-21)

Thanks
    Of interest: Here in South Africa, we have been experiencing organised power cuts as a result of poor/inadequate maintenance of the national power grid. These cuts are usually scheduled, and last about two hours. By consulting the schedules, one can ensure that sensitive items are properly shut down/switched off before the power cuts occur. However, on occasions various factors result in un-scheduled cuts that can strike whilst one is using equipment or appliances. I have been "caught" twice whilst working on my desktop. I immediately removed the power plug from the wall and waited for power to be restored. In both cases, my system powered up (re-booted) with no problems once power had been restored. (My SSD did not "lose its memory"!!!)
    (My Setup: Custom built: 3,70GHz Intel Core i7-4820K CPU; MSI Military Class iii X79A-GD45 Plus Motherboard; Win 10 Pro (64 bit) - (UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; GeForceGTX 980 4GB Graphics Card; Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2015 Premium, NIS 2016, VMWare Workstation12 Pro, etc). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    I split these posts from a different thread as they seemed they should stand on their own

Joe

7. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

Paul T (2015-05-26)