New Lounger
    Thanks

sndvol32 install (WinXP)

I wish I knew how I'd done it, but I've somehow uninstalled sndvol32. However, when I go over to the handy windows component installer in XP, there's no slot for multimedia or sound or anything like it. is it hidden someplace? (I've gone to every possible place within the component installer, it is not to be seen). Does this tell me something else is messed up as well as my immediate problem? Help! (I'm getting tired of the sound being so damned loud...)

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: sndvol32 install (WinXP)

You may not have a sound card installed.
    Check the control panel for a Sounds and Audio Devices.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

New Lounger
    Thanks

No, I guess I should have specifed that the sound itself is working just fine, thank you (albeit always LOUD). I have, in the past, had the Volume Control (a/k/a sndvol32) installed and functioning on this machine (dell laptop), using XP -- it's just disappeared now. When I try to turn on the volume control in the sounds control panel, it says "you gotta go to add/remove" -- similar response when I hit the "volume" button on the Audio tab under sounds ctrl panel (although that one says specifically to go install sndvol32).

So, I goes to add/remove, and cannot find any such creature.

I've also tried to uninstall the sound driver, and let it reinstall -- no difference.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Will running sfc /scannow (from the command prompt) re-install this file? I believe it should if it is a windows system file, which it sounds like it is (I just searched for it and its in windows/system32 on my computer). Like I said in another post, having installed xp has given me more reason to use DOS than I have in years!!!