New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 7 installed dual boot with WinXP Pro 64bit >> problem

I have a desktop box running Win7 Home Premium 64bit. I've found an install disc for WinXP Pro 64 bit and want to install it as a dual boot option.

It installs in the 2nd partition, but when it gets to the point of 'restarting', it won't.
    It just hangs at the prompt after the "Boot from CD, press any key to Boot from CD" thing.

I know it has screwed up the Win7 boot.ini (MBR)and can get Win7 back using it's install disc or the command prompt commands.

Truthfully I don't know if the WinXP actually completed it's install.
    There is a folder on the WinXP partitiion. I don't know if it is complete or not as the WinXP installer says it will 'restart and finish setting up'.

My question is how can I tell if it actually installed, and can I modify the boot.ini(MBR) to dual boot if it has installed.
    Last edited by BillLyte; 2015-05-26 at 12:35.

Thanks
    See http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...dows-7-xp.html
    Skip down to option 2 step 6.

Jerry

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

BillLyte (2015-05-27)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I've been to that site, and that particular step, but my problem is that it never seems to finish installing WinXP.

I understand the after 'Step 6 - Finish installing XP, but it doesn't seem to want to finish installing XP.
    I end up having to reboot with the Win7 install disc, and do the 'fixes' to even get Win7 to boot.

I've yet to see that neat WinXP set up screen that goes through the congifuration bullet point by bullet point. (see the image way down at http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/8790/...puter-with-xp/ ) after the partition selection image.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    See http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...dows-7-xp.html
    Skip down to option 2 step 6.

Jerry
    Thanks Jerry! I had to approach it a bit differently, but finally got WinXP installed.
    After the initial install and it wouldn't start XP nor 7, I booted the Win7 CD and did the repair thing, got into Win7 and ran the BCD app, added WinXP and then rebooted with the XP install CD.
    It went right to the finishing steps of completing the XP Pro 64 bit install.

So both are bootable now and working.
    I may even opt to keep WinXP Pro 64 bit as my main OS, unsupported or not!

Again, THANKS for making me look t it differently and finding a way around things!