Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Inter-System Folder Security Problem

I've had a surprising issue crop up with RoboCopy (though I don't think RoboCopy is the actual issue here).

Here's the scenario. I've got 2 computers, a laptop running Windows XP, and a desktop running Windows 7. Since I take the laptop with me when I travel, I've adopted the habit of synchronizing the 2 system's data files using RoboCopy. It's a bit old-school but it works for me and it's comfortable. I needed RoboCopy because it's smart enough to not copy data already present on the destination system and I have a lot of data.

And it works, works fine in fact, and I've been using this system for 2-3 years.

This last time I decided to perform the synch from the Win7 desktop. And this time I got a file authority error, one I don't think I've ever seen before.
    "Access is denied."

Well, I've seen that error plenty of times, but not in this context! Oh, and the errors only occur on the "My*" folders. Therefore, My Music, My Pictures, and so forth. These are the least important folders in my work world, but the errors hold up my system synch activities. Plus they shouldn't happen at all.

Here's my RoboCopy command:
    robocopy v: c: *.* /s /e /xo /r:30 /w:5

I'm logged in to both systems, as the same user. I have a very powerful account (local Power User, not quite administrator on the network, but highly privileged).

Also, I checked the folder authority on the laptop. I used the old-school Attrib command, and the newer GUI folder Security command. Neither show any problems.

Where is the problem, and how do I fix it? And why do the errors only appear when I synchronize when driving the systems from the desktop?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ah, I forgot something.

I manually set the default folders on each system, prior to issuing the RoboCopy command. Therefore I'm not synchronizing every folder on each system (that would be madness!). I only synch the data folders for "me", under my account.

And I use persistent shares and drive maps (thus the reference to drive v.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    On the XP system, try turning the firewall off temporarily.

Joe

Thanks
    Is RoboCopy done via hard-wire connection or wireless? Reason for asking: my experience has been that when I was using Windows 7 and Windows XP, hard-wire-wise W7 could do anything/everything to XP, but not the other way around, even though I equally shared the necessary directories on both computers. Wireless: well, not so spectacular a success.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It's a hard-wired connection. Given my training, background, and the huge variability in the quality of wireless connections, I always take a wired network link when offered the choice.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I checked the XP firewall and it's off already. Also, a GPO prevents me from altering that setting, not that it matters when the firewall is already off.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    More information. Previously I only posted the final error message. There is some lead-in text, so the whole message is:

2015/05/26 16:44:34 ERROR 5 (0x00000005) Scanning Destination Directory C:\Users
    \bharder\Documents\My Music\
    Access is denied.

Also, the error seems to occur for every file in the folder that has a problem.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Still more mysteries. I decided to Google that error code and a little digging found a productive link:

http://www.experts-exchange.com/OS/M..._23778276.html

This posting suggests using the /ZB switch to "use restartable mode; if access denied use Backup mode." I went and checked the RoboCopy command line help and that confirms this statement. In fact it's the exact same text.

OK, I give that a try. RoboCopy then fails, immediately, with the following error:

ERROR : You do not have the Backup and Restore Files user rights.
    ***** You need these to perform Backup copies (/B or /ZB).

ERROR : Robocopy ran out of memory, exiting.
    ERROR : Invalid Parameter #%d : "%s"

ERROR : Invalid Job File, Line #%d :"%s"

jwoods
    Try using the /sec option to copy security.

Thanks
    This might furnish some clues or areas to investigate: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/gp/access-denied

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BHarder View Post
    I checked the XP firewall and it's off already. Also, a GPO prevents me from altering that setting, not that it matters when the firewall is already off.
    I'm curious about group policy preventing you from changing that setting.

Are these computers supplied by your company? If so, you may need to speak to their IT department about any restrictions on the PC's.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Can you copy the files manually to rule out a robocopy problem?
    Is the account you use a member of the Backup Operators group?

cheers, Paul

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Browni View Post
    Are these computers supplied by your company?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Browni View Post
    If so, you may need to speak to their IT department about any restrictions on the PC's.
    Here's the thing. I am IT, or at least part of it. Approaching the organization formally was and still is a possibility. However there are also some reasons not to do so. The corporation is huge, company PC's are only "somewhat" standardized, and the help desk experience is highly variable. Also, this matter could be particular to me and my circumstances, meaning that other users may get little or no benefit from any solution.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwoods View Post
    Try using the /sec option to copy security.
    Interesting idea. Tried it both with and without the /zb options. No change either way.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Went back and took a 2nd look at the error message. Then it jumped out at me! The error is talking about access to the Win7 desktop system, not the XP laptop. Argh!

I checked folder permissions on the correct system, and sure enough, My Music was set to Read Only. Why, I don't know. I changed that to grant myself write access (folder, contents and subfolder(s)). However the error persists anyway. Huh??

One thing that's odd. When I view the folder from a command line, My Music is listed as a Junction rather than a Dir. A Junction seems to be a pointer because it lists a slightly different folder as the destination for that entry. Junctions are... new to me. Wot's a Junction?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast