New Lounger
    Thanks

Photoshop: Can't get it to open .JPG extension from file.

When I double click on a .JPG file it will not open by Photoshop. It wants to use viewer.exe. I went as far as trashing viewer.exe. I have tried to change the View-->Folder-->options-->File Type. and I get a message: The extension '.JPG' is already in use by file type 'ViewerFrameClass'. Choose another extension. I also cannot find in the file types ViewerFrameClass. I have Photoshop version 4.0. HELP! I have tried everything I can think of!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    What operating system are you running?

Joe

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Also posted (and answered) at RetouchPRO.com: http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/pho...ension-fr.html

Please see Rule 14.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by calebclark View Post
    ...I have Photoshop version 4.0. HELP!...
    Wish you luck w/ Photoshop v4.0.

AFAIK Photoshop was at least v8.0 <> 2001. I suspect Photoshop v4.0 pre-dates JPG format (probably circa Win95) some time before 2000) so no wonder PS4 can't handle JPG.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    If open with won't work try using a proxy such as XnView to set Photoshop as one of the programs to open the photo in for editing. That usually works better in any case since almost all photo types are displayed in XnView and if you have more than one photo editor, you can direct a photo or multiple photos quickly to whichever editor even if it's not currently running (XnView initiates startup).

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    Also posted (and answered) at RetouchPRO.com: http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/pho...ension-fr.html

Please see Rule 14.
    Judging by the attempted response from another newbie to the Lounge, I suspect that the OP is a bot or tag team spam member, only here to promote crapware.

The reply in the linked topic should fix the issue permanently.