Thanks

Clone C-partition of 1st HD onto C-partition of 2nd HD possible?

Ok, I have both Acronis True Image [fee] and Macrium Reflect [free]. I understand both can:
    -- clone a whole physical hard-drive onto another whole physical hard-drive
    -- make an image of any HD en toto, or make an image of each partition -- [saving image] onto another HD, ext or int.
    I can't find a way to "tell" either program what I wanted to do:
    Clone C-partition of 1st HD onto the C-partition of the 2nd HD. Is there a way to do this, if not with Acronis or Macrium - what program?
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Acronis TI and Macrium Reflect are backup programs, not partition copiers/managers, but you may be able to do what you want with the paid versions of those programs - my ATI has a partition copy wizard but I don't know exactly what it will do.
    Try Easus Disk Copy Free.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    Roland,

If both of these drives are in or attached to your computer you will only have 1 C partition. Now, however you can figure out which partition on the 2nd drive is where you want a clone of the Active (booted) C partition. Now Take an image of JUST the C: partition and then restore it to what will become the C: partition of the 2nd drive when it is connected solely to the computer or you have setup a dual boot environment. Be careful as depending on what version of Windows in involved you may need to copy other (usually non-letter) partitions to the 2nd drive for it to be bootable. BTW: It's always helpful to know what version of windows you're using. Also the above comments apply to Macrium (most likely to Acronis also but I don't have that so can't say for sure).

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    RetiredGeek, 2nd HD, after being cloned is Disabled in CTL-PNL/Device Manager
    I was hoping to be able to FreeSync my 1st D [data] onto my 2nd D; and clone 1st C onto my 2nd C -- then Disable 2nd HD. Also, I do regular backups onto 2 ext HDs.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    Roland,

Why not create a Bootable Recovery disk in Macrium (DVD/USB) and boot from that that will get Windows out of the road and you'll just be cloning from disk to disk (not a active boot disk). Should simplify things considerably. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    RetiredGeek, I have done that already I simply enjoy toying with being able to unMummify and bring to life a backup HD ready to go

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RolandJS View Post
    Ok, I have both Acronis True Image [fee] and Macrium Reflect [free]. I understand both can:
    -- clone a whole physical hard-drive onto another whole physical hard-drive
    -- make an image of any HD en toto, or make an image of each partition -- [saving image] onto another HD, ext or int.
    I can't find a way to "tell" either program what I wanted to do:
    Clone C-partition of 1st HD onto the C-partition of the 2nd HD. Is there a way to do this, if not with Acronis or Macrium - what program?
    To jump to the front of the line..meaning no disrespect to anyone else.

I have done that very thing many times, using the last DOS version of "Ghost 11.5".
    I run it from a DOS boot CD or Flash Drive.

Ghost will let you take a partition and make a compressed backup copy of that partition and save it wherever you want. That's the "Partition to Image" routine. Then you can do a "Image to Partition" restore, writing that partition copy to the first partition of a second hard drive.

As a famous man once said, "Works for me!"

Cheers Mate!
    The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Thanks
    DrWho, we think alike; have been doing as you posted What I'd like to do is directly copy 1st HD's C-partition right onto the 2nd HD's 1st partition, then disable 2nd HD.