New Lounger
    Thanks

Hyper-V server core 2012 r2 logon Screen

I have a couple of Hyper-V 2012 r2 server cores attached to a KVM switch. When I access the machines I have no way to know which one I am logging into without going back to see where the wires are connected at the switch. I can rotate the switch from the keyboard but all the Hyper-V logon screens look exactly the same.

I have tried changing the user photo and the logon background. Apparently without the Desktop Experience installed, none of this works. Is it possible to find the Microsoft screen and hack it? All I really need to do is change the colors or something else simple to tell them apart.

Thanks.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You need BGinfo. It's free BTW.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks but server core doesn't have a desktop it opens into a DOS like window. It shows the server name at the top of that window. I would like to know the server name before I logon.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Or get a KVM switch with an extra port, then when you cycle through at the keyboard you can figure out which is first port or second, or third, etc.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Consider this:
    1) Cycle through the switch until you find the one you don't want then back up (or go around again) to find the one you actually do want.
    or
    2) Look at the display and know which machine you are at.
    Which would you prefer?

Maybe Microsoft is punishing me for using the free version of Hyper-V server. It is hard to believe they never considered this.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Consider this:
    1) Cycle through the switch until you find the one you don't want then back up (or go around again) to find the one you actually do want.
    or
    2) Look at the display and know which machine you are at.
    Which would you prefer?

With my 10+ year old kvm it is actually faster to logon and see what machine it is than to cycle through.

Maybe Microsoft is punishing me for using the free version of Hyper-V server. It is hard to believe they never considered this.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Get a KVM that allows you to name the ports - on screen for a few seconds after you switch ports.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Buying new hardware is not an option. My pension gets smaller and smaller every year. If health care gets any more affordable... I had better not go there.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Just change the prompt text for goodness sakes! It's old school but likely it's exactly what you need.

Prompt typically defaults to $p$g (current drive and directory). So build upon that:

set prompt=Server 1$_$p$g

This puts the server name on it's own line. Set your other servers as appropriate, just keep them all different, and therefore distinguishable.

One thing to remember. This setting gets lost every time you reboot the server. Making this persistent is a trick I don't know how to do on Server Core.

The old rule was that these settings were kept in the Autoexec.Bat file. With the NT based operating systems this startup script was renamed Autoexec.NT and the script itself was relocated from the root into one of the Windows system folders.

Perhaps it is still there under these names? A little bit of digging will settle the matter.

Good luck!

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You could try SETX prompt=Server 1$_$p$g
    This updates the master environment.

cheers, Paul