Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 28
  1. #1
    3 Star Lounger KIWIpeteW's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    263
    Thanks
    121
    Thanked 16 Times in 16 Posts

    System backup image fails

    I'm trying to do a System Image Backup of my C Drive on my SAMSUNG ATIV book 5 (12 GB RAM) The screen shots show the error message and my current Disk Management information. I'm assuming that it is because my 500 GB I drive is not set up right to accept the image,so do I have to buy a new HD to be used for this purpose only.Screenshot 2015-05-25 11.02.16.pngScreenshot 2015-05-25 11.13.12.png This what is in the screen shots if you are having trouble reading them. There was a failure in preparing the backup image or one of the volumes in the backup set...(0x807800C5)
    ....Additional Information..The mounted backup volume is inaccessible .Please retry the operation.(0x8078004F)...... ......My C drive is made up of....300 MB of healthy( recovery partition).... 99 MB Healthy (EFI System Partition).... (C) 118.73 GB NTFS Healthy (boot,Page File,Crash Dump,Primary Partition)....JUST WORKED OUT THAT BY CLICKING ON THE SCREEN SHOTS YOU CAN OPEN IT IN NEW WINDOW AND SEE THEM CLEARLY.
    Last edited by KIWIpeteW; 2015-05-28 at 05:52.

  2. #2
    WS Lounge VIP
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    8,162
    Thanks
    47
    Thanked 976 Times in 906 Posts
    Your I: drive looks like a standard volume and has plenty of free space so it should have no trouble accepting the image.
    How did you tell System Image to save to I:?

    cheers, Paul

  3. #3
    Silver Lounger RolandJS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Austin metro area TX USA
    Posts
    1,720
    Thanks
    95
    Thanked 124 Times in 121 Posts
    Is System Image part of Windows OS? I'd like to learn more.
    Last edited by RolandJS; 2015-05-28 at 13:45.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

  4. #4
    WS Lounge VIP
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    8,162
    Thanks
    47
    Thanked 976 Times in 906 Posts

  5. #5
    jwoods
    Guest
    Since the issue was posted in the Windows 8 forum, this might explain it...

    http://www.howtogeek.com/123713/how-...om-windows-7s/

  6. #6
    3 Star Lounger KIWIpeteW's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    263
    Thanks
    121
    Thanked 16 Times in 16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    Your I: drive looks like a standard volume and has plenty of free space so it should have no trouble accepting the image.
    How did you tell System Image to save to I:?

    cheers, Paul
    I am going to System Image Backup in Windows 8.1, and following the instructions to back to my I Drive. I don't have enough dropbox space to try a net work backup. Could it be because the (recovery partition) area is shaded (see screen shot on original post) as it say Backing Up EFI Partition then fails shortly after that. Screenshot 2015-05-29 11.07.03.pngScreenshot 2015-05-29 11.07.23.pngScreenshot 2015-05-29 11.09.02.pngWhen I bought the laptop the shop removed the 500 GB HD and put a 128 SSD in and removed window files which are on the I Drive.

  7. #7
    WS Lounge VIP
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    8,162
    Thanks
    47
    Thanked 976 Times in 906 Posts
    What I can't see is what folder Windows is attempting to use for the image location, so it may be a permission issue.
    I would download a copy of Macrium Reflect Free and use that to create the backup image - and a bootable rescue disk.

    cheers, Paul

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

    KIWIpeteW (2015-05-29)

  9. #8
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    4,745
    Thanks
    171
    Thanked 648 Times in 571 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jwoods View Post
    Since the issue was posted in the Windows 8 forum, this might explain it...

    http://www.howtogeek.com/123713/how-...om-windows-7s/
    Many of the comments on that article point out that it is wrong where it says "in Windows 8. You can no longer create full system images".

  10. #9
    jwoods
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    Many of the comments on that article point out that it is wrong where it says "in Windows 8. You can no longer create full system images".
    The author didn't mention Windows 7 File Recovery in Windows 8.

    http://arstechnica.com/information-t...your-whole-pc/

    However, the limitations of using W7FR would probably push a lot of users to a 3rd party disk imaging solution, regardless.

  11. #10
    3 Star Lounger KIWIpeteW's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    263
    Thanks
    121
    Thanked 16 Times in 16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    What I can't see is what folder Windows is attempting to use for the image location, so it may be a permission issue.
    I would download a copy of Macrium Reflect Free and use that to create the backup image - and a bootable rescue disk.

    cheers, Paul
    I'm trying to make a image of my C Dive onto my I Drive using Macrium Reflect Free but getting told I need to reformat my target disk(screenshot). Does that mean wiping that disk or is it offering to make a partition to store the image to. This must be the problem that WIN 8.1 System Backup Image is having and if I work this part of the problem out I can get my C Drive image made. I'm ready to give up and just stick with File History(... and create a new library, and put my whole disk in it thus backing up all desktop applications and settings....) Well any way any ideas what this screenshot is telling me. Thanks.Screenshot 2015-05-30 22.09.32.png
    Last edited by KIWIpeteW; 2015-05-30 at 07:12.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to KIWIpeteW For This Useful Post:

    RolandJS (2015-05-30)

  13. #11
    3 Star Lounger KIWIpeteW's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    263
    Thanks
    121
    Thanked 16 Times in 16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jwoods View Post
    The author didn't mention Windows 7 File Recovery in Windows 8.

    http://arstechnica.com/information-t...your-whole-pc/

    However, the limitations of using W7FR would probably push a lot of users to a 3rd party disk imaging solution, regardless.
    The following information about File History is from the link above which you posted which could suit some users who may be browsing this thread.(....If you want to stick with File History​ and not System Backup Image but back up all of your desktop applications and settings, you could technically do so by taking advantage of the fact that it automatically backs up everything in your libraries. To do this, you would go into File Explorer where the music, documents, pictures, and video libraries are, create a new library, and just put your whole disk in it....)


    .

  14. #12
    Super Moderator jwitalka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    6,792
    Thanks
    116
    Thanked 798 Times in 719 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KIWIpeteW View Post
    I'm trying to make a image of my C Dive onto my I Drive using Macrium Reflect Free but getting told I need to reformat my target disk(screenshot). Does that mean wiping that disk or is it offering to make a partition to store the image to. This must be the problem that WIN 8.1 System Backup Image is having and if I work this part of the problem out I can get my C Drive image made. I'm ready to give up and just stick with File History(... and create a new library, and put my whole disk in it thus backing up all desktop applications and settings....) Well any way any ideas what this screenshot is telling me. Thanks.Screenshot 2015-05-30 22.09.32.png
    I don't use Macrium but it appears you are trying to a drive clone instead of an image backup.

    Jerry

  15. #13
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    4,745
    Thanks
    171
    Thanked 648 Times in 571 Posts
    Isn't DriveClone 11 an entirely different product?

    Perhaps the wrong download button at Cnet Download.com?

  16. #14
    WS Lounge VIP
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    8,162
    Thanks
    47
    Thanked 976 Times in 906 Posts
    Pete, you do NOT want to clone the drive, you want to make an image copy/backup. An image backup is where you copy the structure and data of the disk and save it as a file(s) to another location. To recover a disk image your backup program reads the data from the file(s) and reproduces the disk in its original form.

    cheers, Paul

  17. #15
    3 Star Lounger KIWIpeteW's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    263
    Thanks
    121
    Thanked 16 Times in 16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    Pete, you do NOT want to clone the drive, you want to make an image copy/backup. An image backup is where you copy the structure and data of the disk and save it as a file(s) to another location. To recover a disk image your backup program reads the data from the file(s) and reproduces the disk in its original form.

    cheers, Paul
    Thanks Paul and all of the above, yes I do want to make Image copy/Backup, but got side tracked with Cloning and a dozen other things because my System Image Backup fails and with my inexperience that is a brick way. Hopefully with my laptop being less than a year old, and a SSD as main C Drive it shouldn't have a major crash.(yet) I'll keep File History up to date on my external hard drive and get another spare hard drive in the near future and have another look at Image Copy/backup before updating to WIN 10. Over the course of this thread I've learnt plenty so all good. CHEERS.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •