Thanks

Get a fresh copy of Windows 10 on any PC without downloading an ISO file and reinstalling Windows.

This looks promising: "Get a fresh copy of Windows on any PC without downloading an ISO file and reinstalling Windows."

http://www.howtogeek.com/216751/bloa...ws-on-new-pcs/

(My Setup: Custom built: 4.00GHz Intel Core i7-6700K CPU; MSI Z170A Gaming Carbon Motherboard (Military Class III); Win 10 Pro (64 bit)-(UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; 2 X GeForceGTX 1070 8GB Graphics Card (SLI); Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2017 Premium, Norton Internet Security, VMWare Workstation12 Pro). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    ... and "this means you also won’t have to install Windows Updates after refreshing or resetting your PC."

Thanks
    and "this means you also won’t have to install Windows Updates after refreshing or resetting your PC."
    And just where do the update come from. The wimboot file is read only supposedly so the updates must be stored some where as perhaps they should have been from the beginning.

And the same WIM file (which is read-only, never being changed in this process) can also be used as a recovery image, in case you want to reset the computer back to its original state.
    http://blogs.windows.com/itpro/2014/...-boot-wimboot/
    Last edited by wavy; 2015-06-03 at 11:05. Reason: link added
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wavy View Post
    And just where do the update come from. The wimboot file is read only supposedly so the updates must be stored some where as perhaps they should have been from the beginning.

http://blogs.windows.com/itpro/2014/...-boot-wimboot/
    That was Windows 8. This is Windows 10:

Without a separate recovery image, the Refresh and Reset functionalities will instead rebuild the operating system in place using runtime system files. Not only does this take up less disk space, it also means you will not have a lengthy list of operating system updates to reinstall after recovering your device.
    Recovery is lightweight and efficient

Thanks
    That was Windows 8. This is Windows 10:
    Yes I had read that, my question remains where ??
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Would it not come from the Component Store ?

Thanks
    Would it not come from the Component Store ?
    Dunno ! thats the WinSxS stuff right?
    David

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Yes, it is WinSXS. That is part of what is used to service Windows now. Because it is used to service Windows it is why you should NEVER mess with that folder or sub-folders using any third party "system repair tools". You risk making a recovery/reset impossible.

Joe

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I wasn't suggesting messing with it - it just seems that with Win 8/8.1 everything seems to revolve around the Component Store, so figured that could be a likely place as a suggestion to wavy's question.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Sorry, I did not mean to imply that you were suggesting anything. I just threw the admonition out there.

Joe

Thanks
    Ok that makes sense. Thanks

I still would like to be able d/l an Iso w/ all updates on it
    David

Administrator
    Thanks
    I'm sure there will be ISOs available for the July 29 release. Since Microsoft is going to keep the technical preview program alive after July 29 they will most likely continue to provide ISOs for that program.

Joe