New Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook 2010 repeatedly rebuilds the index

I have a repeated problem where every week or so I try to find something in Outlook and get told that the search results are incomplete because items are being indexed. When I click on the message I get told that a large number of items (anything from 3-14,000) are being indexed. In the worst cases this can take 4-5 hours and during this time it is hit-and-miss whether I get proper results from the search. It appears that the index is being rebuilt but I cannot identify the trigger for this nor how the previous index has either been deleted or rendered in need of a rebuild. Anyone else seen this problem and, more importantly, know how to fix it. It is so frustrating being unable to find things in Outlook for a chunk of the day.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    If you regularly run any third part system cleaning/tuning programs check the settings.

Joe

Thanks
    Can you turn off Indexing for a week or so, and see what happens? I severely limited my index to only TXT, DOC files.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    If you regularly run any third part system cleaning/tuning programs check the settings.

Joe
    I did wonder about this. I have RegPro Cure installed and I run it about every 1-2 weeks. I have not made a record of doing this and then looking to see what happens with Outlook. I have just had a look at the settings and I can't see anything that would obviously delete/modify the Windows mdb file - which I assume is the key file relating to my problem? Under Privacy there is the option to clear 'Windows Cache' but I don't think this would include the index. I'd be grateful is anyone could suggest what I should look at.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RolandJS View Post
    Can you turn off Indexing for a week or so, and see what happens? I severely limited my index to only TXT, DOC files.
    THis will undoubtedly show my ignorance but I find the ability to search my emails for keywords very useful when I have to track down something from a while ago, so if I remove Outlook from the index what would be the best way to still search for emails?

Thanks
    I think you can leave clicked the PST ext in that long long long index-these-extensions page buried deep somewhere within Explorer Folder Options.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Administrator
    Thanks
    I believe the search index is an EDB file.

Do you run any other third party tools such as Ccleaner?

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I believe the search index is an EDB file.

Do you run any other third party tools such as Ccleaner?

Joe
    I do run CCleaner but very infrequently and I have had this indexing problem much more frequently than that. Other than CCleaner I do run RegCare Pro much more often, but as I said in an earlier post, I can't see what setting in this programme might affect the Windows search index file.

Thanks
    I believe the search index is an EDB file...
    Normally a .edb file would be for M$ Exchange Database (email).
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    A further update. I believe that I have pinpointed the problem to RegCure Pro. I ran the scan today and allowed it to 'fix all issues' which included Windows Search. Interestingly in the Privacy scan settings this appears under 'Third Party Application History'. After reboot I checked Outlook and found that I could not search because it was indexing my items. Initially it said there were only about 400 items but over the next 30 minutes that has increased to almost 50,000!
    So I think I now know how to avoid losing the index and I hope that this might help anyone else with the problem - I assume some other 'System Cleaners' could do something similar?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dogsownluck View Post
    ...I believe that I have pinpointed the problem to RegCure Pro...
    Maybe you haven't noticed but throughout WSL we have advised against running "registry fix", "system tuneup", "update my drivers", "speed up my PC" type programs because they generally cause problems rather than fixing anything.

"RegCure Pro" is but one example; whenever I see it on customers' PCs I immediately uninstall it (also "Driver Update", "System Optimiser Pro", "Speed Up My PC", "Advanced System Care", etc., etc., etc.). Scamware - they do more harm than good.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Administrator
    Thanks
    I wholeheartedly agree with Coochin's post #11.

Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I heartily endorse Coochin's post #11.

After you have ceased to run RegCure Pro, it would be a good idea to compact the Outlook database. The instructions are here https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/289987

Although the MS article is headed "How to compact PST and OST files to eliminate deleted item space in Outlook", running this utility will also sort out any minor anomalies in your Outlook database.

To guard against the very small chance of problems, it would also be a good idea to make a backup copy of your outllook.pst file before compacting.

Martin

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Point taken Coochin but it might be worth explaining how I ended up using RegCure Pro even though I was aware of the advice. The laptop is from work and I have a subscription to McAfee Security on it; I am also quite careful about where I go on the web, clicking on unknown links and opening attachments etc.. In fact I have not had a problem with an infection for a long time i.e. can't remember the last time. However about 4 months ago I came back to my desk and found a diaglog box saying that I needed to download an update to complete a process; I had been away from my desk for a couple of hours in a brain-frying meeting and frankly could not remember what I had been doing before I left. Literally without thinking about it I clicked YES and immediately regretted it. I ended up in a mess and spent ages trying to sort out the problems - the McAfee programme could not sort things out and I was searching the web on another PC to find out how I could clean things up. Frankly in desperation I did try lots of different utilities and cleaners including RegCure Pro and it did seem to help - I wasn't systematic enough to say that for sure but since then I have continued to use it. I will not be using it anymore having now found this problem