New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Media Player "skips"

I'm running 8.1. Media player skips like an old record. Any clues as to why?

Thanks
    Mine does too. I'm thinking having several programs open at the same time causes a hiccup from time to time.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Thanks
    What type of content are you playing (music/video) and where is it (local/streamed over internet) ?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    There's one cause I see a lot of. Even when playing local content, WMP struggles when high levels of system update activity is taking place. Take a timed anti-malware scan for instance. The disk activity levels for a scan push the computer pretty hard. And yes, I get stuttering.

Now factor in additional workloads like full-disk content indexing. Windows (or other) program updates. Inventory scans. BOINC tasks.

The common factor I see is that if you check Resource Monitor, you'll see that the priority is set to Normal for all of these. They should be running at some reduced priority so as to not affect foreground tasks.

If you are streaming content over the net, that's a whole new consideration. It's pretty common to have throughput issues due to network and remote server limitations. Personally I don't do that for music but the "Buffering" message for internet videos is common enough to be infamous.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm playing from my music library. Trying to run Bluetooth speakers is when I seem to have the worst time, however, it still happens when I'm hardwired into my amplifier. I've looked at what is running in the background and nothing stands out.

Thanks
    You need to test for 'bad' drivers, etc. that might be triggering high DPC Latency:
    http://www.thesycon.de/eng/latency_check.shtml
    http://www.resplendence.com/latencymon

Thanks
    I try to avoid Windows Media Player whenever I can.
    Not only does it seem to be prone to buggy behavior, but it also tends to handle video files >2GB poorly.

VLC is still one of the best free alternatives.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks