3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

network extenders

Recently I "upgraded" my Optonline access to a higher bandwidth. As part of the upgrade, Optonline provided a D-link DIR-868L wireless router (which, to my surprise, also serves as a general access point for any Optonline subscriber).

Initially I reused my previous Linksys WRT 1900 AC router as access to a subnetwork, although I really only wanted one network. That introduced complications, so I removed this Linksys router and, at another point in my network, installed a Linksys RE 6500 wireless repeater. This fixed some applications but not others.

Basically I find the range of the D-link wireless to be limited, especially in the 5 Ghz band. This router is at one end of my home, far from some of the applications such as a Bose internet radio/CD unit which we want to use in the kitchen. I also want my wife to be able to use her iPad (connected via wireless) in the back yard (extended further via bluetooth to a Bose wireless speaker).

To further complicate the network, I have two 1x8 switches incorporated.

First and foremost, is there a way to reuse my Linksys WRT 1900 as a remote access point without introducing a subnetwork? I think there is, but I have not figured out how to do it.

Second, if I do so, can I still use the Linksys RE 6500 as a range extender?

Thanks!

Thanks
    Do these instructions help?:
    http://www.linksys.com/ca/support-ar...icleNum=141083

Jerry

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

sorry, no -

my Linksys router should be connected via wire (Ethernet cable) to the internet-facing router, not wirelessly.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    This article shows how to use your second router as an access point.
    http://www.linksys.com/us/support-ar...icleNum=132275

cheers, Paul

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

Fascist Nation (2015-06-09)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, but this stupid guy (me) still failed.
    I was following the directions when it came to changing the router ip address. [It had been automatically set to an entirely different address weeks ago when I made it the secondary router and attached the Ethernet cable from the new main router (provided by my internet service supplier) to the usual connector (that normally went to the cable modem), and made the Linksys router the gateway to a new subnetwork.] When I changed the address to the main router ip address with the 4th field changed, it dropped my connection from my pc to the router (no surprise). I not only could not log on (to any of the three ip addresses that had by now been used), my pc could not even see the "network" (pc to the router).

I then reset the router to factory default, figuring it would come up with what I started with when I first installed it (before making name, etc changes). Unfortunately, I could not log in to the router. Nothing I had ever used or any default that I could recall worked. I could not find the initial factory-set login on the router, in its documentation (that came with it or on-line), on the router box, .... I tried wireless access with the default network name and again I was blocked at the router password (not the wireless interface) stage.

So my router is now a worthless piece of junk. Ugh!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Got it! As so often happens, I think of the answer after I had given up. I found and used the password and set everything up. Now to test it.

THANKS VERY MUCH!!!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Now comes my next opportunity for learning.

I have three equipment items broadcasting network wireless signals: my main router, my second router functioning as a remote access point, and a wireless repeater.
    Should I use the same or different network names on the RAP as on the main router?
    If I tie in wirelessly, will I automatically get access through the strongest signal (in a given band)?
    Can I broadcast and use the guest network on both the main router and the RAP (I believe I cannot through the wireless repeater)?

Thanks again.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    The answer is always, it depends.
    Using the same SSID and password for all three wireless units should allow you to move between areas without disruption - the repeater should do that automatically. You could use different SSIDs and passwords and let the PC switch when the signal drops out, but that may result in minor network outages when you move.

cheers, Paul

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

Fascist Nation (2015-06-09)

Thanks
    The additional point not mentioned by Paul T when running three wireless units with the same SSID and password is that each should broadcast on a non-overlapping channel. - in the 2.4GHz band channels 1, 6 and 11 do not overlap.
    Undoubtedly you will need to set the broadcast channel in each of the devices - leaving the device to choose the best channel may not work well.
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...