2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Open with no blank doc (2000 (9.0.2720))

Previous versions let me add /n to the startup command. Used to find it under start menu programs/advanced/ms word shortcut (right click)/properties/start in. Since 2000 was loaded, nothing's in "start in". Any ideas how I can do away with that empty doc on startup?
    Kris

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Open with no blank doc (2000 (9.0.2720))

Kris,

Does the info in <A target="_blank" HREF=http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q210565>MS KB art. Q210565</A> help?

- also, look at the Word Help topic: "How do you control what happens when Word starts?".

Gary

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Kris:
    Office 2000 installs 3kb shortcut icons for all it's programs. These icons do not let you modify themselves to use switches or shortcut keys. The good news is that you don't need them. I got rid of all of them except the Outlook shortcut, because it's property page has items that a regular shortcut doesn't have.

I'd go to Windows Explorer & select & right drag "C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOfficeWINWORD.EXE", "C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOfficeMSACCESS.EXE", "C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOfficeEXCEL.EXE" (and any other Office programs that you use frequently) to either the desktop or somewhere on the start menu. You will have the option to create a shortcut. If you go to the properties tab of these shortcuts, you'll see that you can add switches & shortcut keys.

Hope this helps.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Phil!

Well, duh! Create a new shortcut! You'd think I'd know enough not to trust MS by now. I've been standing in the corner for the last half hour, but now have my blank doc version of Word running. Took a bit of piddling to get the /n OUTSIDE the ", and to get it working on the shortcut bar.

Have a Merry,
    Kris
    Kris

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Gary,

I went all over the question wizard and couldn't come up with the right words until your message suggested "control. . . ." And I'm glad to see the list of other possible switches in the info file you suggested.

Thanks,
    Kris
    Kris