Thanks

Re: Hover button HTML anomaly (2000 SR1)

Have you moved (to a sub-folder) or renamed the page?
    I think FP mucks about with the HTML to find the correct Java class files if you do.
    (<A target="_blank" HREF=http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-GB;q219883&GSSNB=1>FP2000: Gray Box Appears for Component If You Delete Java Class Files (Q219883)</A>)

I have always found the Hover buttons a bit iffy - sometimes it is just easier to recreate them.

The next step is to learn how to create the mouse_over effect yourself!
    Big bundle of code generators here at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.123webmaster.com/Online_Tools/Code_Editing/Java/>123 webmaster</A>, not forgetting MS's own:
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-GB;q222949&GSSNB=1>FP2000: Creating Hover Effects for Form Buttons using DHTML and CSS (Q222949)</A>

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Hover button HTML anomaly (2000 SR1)

Can anyone explain the following?

I have a number of hover buttons on each of my web pages. Part of the HTML which is generated for buttons on various pages is as follows:

<applet code="fphover.class" codebase="./" width="120" height="24"> These work ok.

<applet code="fphover.class" width="120" height="24"> These also work ok.

<applet code="fphover.class" codebase width="120" height="24"> These give the hover button as grey in Preview, without any text.

I don't know why different HTML is generated. Does anyone know why the "codebase" word appears, just by itself? And what's the difference between
    codebase="./"
    and
    no codebase at all?

Thanks!
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Leif - you may have the answer, since the problem appears to be demonstrated in each page only for the button which links to a page whose name I changed! I also had a problem where the Link pointed to file:///C://My Documents//My Webs//etc (number of /s to your taste) - even when it was published. and I had to do some major Search/Replace surgery on the generated HTML to get it sorted out again. I will look at your "doing hover buttons a different way" articles.

You might like to have a look at the now-published Booking Form (booking.htm) again; even with a fixed-pitch font everywhere you certainly do NOT get WYSIWYG between the Normal view and the Preview/IE view of that page. It seems that the one-line boxes (to which I have reverted) are wider in Preview/IE view than they are when you create them in Normal view. I dread to think what the page looks like in Netscape!

As to the reliability of Publish Web: current status is that I can NEVER get HTML publishing to work, and I CAN get FTP publishing to work most times, provided I put the password in sufficiently often. As I said before, there seem to be several TechNet articles on this topic, and I will have to wade through them to see if any are applicable to my situation...

I'm also getting a little worried that this forum is turning into the "John Gray FrontPage Question Show"!

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Thanks

Note to other users: I have privy to John's web page on his employer's web-site. For commercial reasons it is better this not be publicised.

John,
    It is because you are publishing by FTP that you have a problem with your links! The neat thing about FP is that when it does the publishing, it converts all the file:///C:/My Webs/booking.htm references to http://www.mywebsite.com/booking.htm for you.

The differences between Normal view and REAL LIFE view I believe is down to the way the browser is set up. For example, in IE: View > Text Size > Medium will give the nearest rendering of what you expect. But someone with poor eyesight may set it to Large, and everything goes out the window. (You can also change the size if you have a wheel mouse in IE - hold down shift as you roll your wheel!)
    To fix the font size, you need to use embedded styles. For example, your first line header was set to size 6. I have (re-)defined it as 24pt. IE can now no longer change it.

Your page looks fine in IE and NS6 - but NS4 - yuk! The entry fields appear below the titles and total chaos in the final section - I suspect the defined size of the form may be at fault, plus a variation in the way NS4 uses the font size.

And don't worry - I'm learning as much as you are!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Leif

I only used straight FTP (via the command prompt, and typing in lots of FTP commands) on one occasion; currently I'm doing Publish Web via FP2000 and using the location ftp://ftp.mydomain.co.uk/htdocs as the target. I think all my links are OK, now, after the troubles of which I spoke earlier. I have to do some more reading of my FP2000 book on shared borders and anything else relevant. I've looked through those Technet articles found from searching on "FP2000 repeatedly", and the only apparently-relevant one was Q275546, whose suggestions I tried to no effect when trying to Publish Web via HTTP.

I think I will probably have to assume that anyone looking at my booking form has at least IE4 or at least NS6. I may have to go through changing all the sizes to absolute point sizes (as you suggest) - which will, I trust, mean that it will also print out on a single page of paper!

Thanks for your help, again, again!

John

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Thanks

There's a neat bit of code here at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://javascript.internet.com/messages/print-page.html>The JavaScript Source</A> which will give you a 'Print' button.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Leif, I have grabbed both versions!

Ita, esto, quidcumque...