Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Star Lounger
    Thanks

Backup conundrum with Samsung Series 5 Ultrabook

Because of the difficulties of booting this machine from a thumb drive (no optical drive) I have settled for using Samsung's own recovery programme. This has worked well for months until I started to run out of space on the external HDD, just delete a couple of images and I will be OK, not so, I could find no way to delete individual recovery points so I contacted Samsung help, No you cannot do that you can only delete all the recovery points or none. This seems ridiculous, anyone have a suggestion? Thanks, Peter

jwoods
    You should be able to see the contents of the thumb drive in Windows Explorer.

Using the dates and times of the files that are shown in the Samsung restore screen, you should be able to cross-reference those to the files that are displayed using Explorer.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwoods View Post
    You should be able to see the contents of the thumb drive in Windows Explorer.
    A thumb drive does not appear to be in play in this scenario.

jwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    A thumb drive does not appear to be in play in this scenario.
    External HDD...same approach.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I would stop using Samsung's recovery software and use a proper one. Macrium Reflect, Easeus To Do etc. Both of those have a free version that does all you need.

cheers, Paul

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Maybe Samsung was correct

Quote Originally Posted by jwoods View Post
    External HDD...same approach.
    Thank you both for your replies. I made an image yesterday and another one today, in my file manager I deleted everything dated 29 May and rebooted with F4, there was no backup image to restore, all gone. I did notice when I deleted all yesterdays files I was left with only a few so possible the Samsung image/backup is an incremental one. How short sighted I was to buy a laptop without an optical drive as I use True Image 2014 on my desktop and it works perfectly, the DVD drive boots my machine every time and starts the True Image programme.

Regards,

Peter

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you Paul. The problem I have is I cannot boot from an external optical drive or a thumb drive, I tried all sorts of fixes and eventually bricked the motherboard, Samsung replaced it for nothing so I am loathe to risk that again. I use True Image 2014 on my desktop.

Regards,

Peter

jwoods
    You might try disabling Fast Boot in the BIOS to boot from a USB device.

https://craftedflash.com/info/how-bo...-drive#Samsung

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You can use True Image on the laptop to perform the backup. I use TI from within Windows every day and have never had a problem. To perform a full recovery requires you can boot from CD/USB, not backup.

cheers, Paul

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you Paul. I can easily make images from within Windows 8.1 with True Image 2014, that is not the problem, it is booting the laptop from a thumb drive to access the True Image programme.

Regards,

Peter

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Booting the laptop is covered by jwoods in post #8

cheers, Paul

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you all. I have made a concerted effort to boot my laptop from a thumb drive and I have succeeded at last. I bought a licence for True Image 2014 (TI 2015 is useless) for the laptop so I am pleased I finally was able to use it.

Thanks for all of your inputs.

Regards,

Peter

Thanks
    bought a licence for True Image 2014 (TI 2015 is useless)
    Just wondering what your experiences are w/ AT 15 (available with a recent purchase of TI 14), did the free upgrade but am now reinstalling my OS.
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Experience not good with 2015, uninstalled and reverted to 2014, works excellently. Re-installing the OS is a nightmare for me, I have 150+ programmes on my machine, takes me a month to get back to normal. I installed Windows 8/8.1 January 2013 and have not had to re-install since then, I am an inveterate fiddler and things are always going wrong and as I have at least 10 images stored on external USB 3.0 drives, the latest is never more than 3 days old plus I run Non-Stop Backup, can't remember the last time I lost a file.

Regards,

Peter

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Welcome to Acronis. It seems to work for simple (manual, complete) backups, but woe be to those who attempt anything more complicated; it promises a lot, yet doesn't deliver. You would be well advised to try another product.

Zig (been there, done that, bought the T-shirt.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast