New Lounger
    Thanks

unable to remove wireless networks win 7

Hi All: On my laptop running windows 7, when I click on the wireless icon in the system tray/notification area I see my home wireless router and I see several other wireless networks (hotel, coffee shop etc) I want to remove them. However going to Network and Sharing center does not work because these other networks are not listed there, just my home network which is working fine.

I have done hours of Googling and have only found two options: the network and sharing and trying some NETSH commands from a command prompt. I've tried the netsh wlan commands from a command prompt to show me the wireless Profiles I have, and this only shows me my home wireless profile, NOT any of the other wireless networks. When I do a "netsh wlan show all" command - Again I see my wireless as the only 'legit' wireless but under the separate ALL category it does show the names of these other wireless networks with SSID names and other info. However, I've searched my registry for any of these wireless network names and they can't be found. I've searched the registry for "wireless" "network" "SSID" and several other search terms. No luck.

These other wireless networks only seem to appear when I click on the wireless icon in my system tray. Even there, I've tried to right click but the only choice I have is to connect. I've even tried to connect but then these networks want a password/SSID login and of course I have no idea what it is.

This is not affecting my connectivity but I would like to remove these other wireless networks. It's possible if I was ever back in range of these networks I might be able at that time to remove or forget these but the odds of that are slim.

In Win 7 there used to be a tab under network that was Wireless that would seem to show all wireless networks - but I might be confusing that with the Enterprise version of win 7 at work, we might not have that choice on win 7 pro at home.

Any suggestions besides using Network sharing or command prompt netsh etc. will be welcome.

jwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by rictom View Post
    Hi All: On my laptop running windows 7, when I click on the wireless icon in the system tray/notification area I see my home wireless router and I see several other wireless networks (hotel, coffee shop etc) I want to remove them. However going to Network and Sharing center does not work because these other networks are not listed there, just my home network which is working fine.
    What you are seeing are other wireless networks that are in range of your computer.

They are not "connected" to you.

This is normal.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    In Network and Sharing Center, do you have a link near top left to "Manage wireless networks"?

Windows7ManageWirelessNetworks.png

If not, try Start then Search for that or create/download a shortcut: Manage Wireless Networks

Thanks
    The OP clearly means the list of available wireless networks that is displayed when the "network" tray icon is left-clicked.

WLANs.jpg

Only "WWS" (connected) and "Wi-Fi 4G-2518" are shown in the screenshot because all my neighbours' wireless routers are out of range.

There is no provision to delete or modify wireless networks in that list. The list is intended only to allow the user to choose a network to connect to.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

jwoods
    Unfortunately, if it's critical to you to display only your wireless network when clicking on the Network tray icon, you may have to resort to netsh.

Run netsh commands in an elevated Command Prompt. Replace SSID Name with the name displayed.

This netsh command will block an SSID from appearing in the list -

netsh wlan add filter permission=block ssid=SSID Name networktype=infrastructure

This netsh command will show all blocked SSID's -

netsh wlan show filters permission=block

This netsh command will remove a block on an SSID -

netsh wlan delete filter permission=block ssid=SSID Name networktype=infrastructure

I have tested them on a Win 7 Pro system. The blocks persist between reboots as well.

(Solution courtesy of Al Jarvi, MS-MVP).
    Last edited by jwoods; 2015-05-30 at 03:08.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwoods View Post
    ...if it's critical to you to display only your wireless network when clicking on the Network tray icon...
    Please explain in detail why it should be "critical" to display "only your wireless network" in that list.

I am really interested to know just why that list should not display all wireless networks that are within range.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    “These other wireless networks only seem to appear when I click on the wireless icon in my system tray. Even there, I've tried to right click but the only choice I have is to connect.”
    --- I know it’s already alluded to but this tells me they are within range
    --- I just checked my laptop here at home and wireless networks when I’m away from home are not in the list

“It's possible if I was ever back in range of these networks I might be able at that time to remove or forget these but the odds of that are slim.”
    --- Are you sure you are not “in range of these networks”
    --- The list of available wireless networks that you see at home, or are you at work?, shouldn’t be the ones “I see several other wireless networks (hotel, coffee shop etc)”

In my experience many of the wireless networks in public locations are unsecured
    --- Is the concern that you do not want unsecured networks staying in your system?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    DOH! thanks to everyone for their quick replies with the answer that these are wireless networks within range. I considered that but some of the networks appearing had inappropriate names (I know you can name your network whatever you want) and others I had never seen before in the neighborhood so I was concerned I might have picked up some nefarious network connection.

And thanks for the suggestion to use netsh command to block these networks I'm sure there is a utility out there to make that easier if I decide to search. I did learn about the netsh command so that's something!

It is not critical to only see my home network but I would like an option to block/remove any wireless network I don't want to see. I know I can forget a network if I've connected to it at some point. I just wanted to clean up that list.

I am embarrassed that it's a normal function and I leaned toward the abnormal when I usually don't.

Thanks again everyone!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your response. I wouldn't worry about feeling embarrassed as I recall when I should have but didn't ask questions.