Star Lounger
    Thanks

Mystery Google "software removal tool' downloads

Within a few minutes of opening google chrome, I get notice of a download:

"software_removal_tool." That might not be the exact title because i keep deleting it and it reappears. I have not installed it.

Spent time on the google help site and lots of folks ask what this does. Obviously, it "removes software", but what software?
    Believe it or not, some replies say they cannot list the titles of what software is removed because "they don't want to confuse users."

Yes, that is what they said: "don't want to confuse users." I think they offer a text file later to say what was "removed".
    It seems google chrome removes any software that might interfere with chrome.

Anybody experience this thing?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    This seems to be it.
    https://www.google.com/chrome/srt/

I'd avoid it unless you are having problems with Chrome - I'd avoid it anyway, especially as it's beta status.

cheers, Paul

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Paul, thanks.
    I have no intention of installing it.
    What annoys me is their apparent refusal to list "what" software they remove.
    Very arrogant, and yes, beta is even more a concern.

Thanks
    I use IE11 as my default browser. Have used IE as default since Win3.1. Also have Firefox installed and kept up-to-date as an alternative for sites that don't play well with IE.

From impressions gained working on customers' computers Chrome has a very long way to go before it can reasonably be compared to IE or Firefox.

It seems to me to be far too intrusive. I refuse to have it on any of my systems.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I dislike Chrome intensely too, but;

"Good news is that the program will display its findings so that you can decide on the course of action to take."

Google Software Removal Tool for Windows released

Thanks
    Personally, I use Chrome almost exclusively although I don't allow it to be the default browser. I have never had the software removal tool offered to me so I assume that chrome may have spotted something to trigger the option on the OP's computer.
    BTW, good link to explain it Bruce.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    i use chrome only because ff died and i cant get it running again.
    it is buggy and slower than a snail in molasses.

chrome updates itself constantly without permission or even telling me in advance

i can see how they would force in an uninstaller to remove programs that conflict with their bugfest of a poorly designed browser that cant play nice in the sandbox with other software

Quote Originally Posted by lumpy95 View Post
    Personally, I use Chrome almost exclusively although I don't allow it to be the default browser. I have never had the software removal tool offered to me so I assume that chrome may have spotted something to trigger the option on the OP's computer.
    BTW, good link to explain it Bruce.