New Lounger
    Thanks

Screwed up WinXP Pro 64-bit admininstrator password

Is there an easy free way to reset or bypass the admin login. No, I didin't have a user account yet(dumb move).
    The XP CD will not get me to the point of using a command prompt, and my Win7 CD command prompt goes to an X> prompt and I can't see all of the partitions on the HDD.

Everything I have tried thus far has been for naught.

Any suggestions for getting past that admin login screen?

Thanks
    You'll need to burn the "NT Offline Password & Registry Editor" ISO file to CD and boot from it. READ THE INSTRUCTIONS FIRST - the defaults are usually fine...
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BATcher For This Useful Post:

BillLyte (2015-05-30)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    thanks, I saw that last night, but it seems a bit on the long side. I have no problem booting from removable and/or cd, but this confuses my old mind more than a little bit.
    I will study it further before I re-install WinXP (I don't have much time or apps invested in it yet){and if I re-install or fix, I WILL set up other users that have admin privileges to hopefull not get caught out like this again!}

I have the download already, but am just a bit hesitant to pull the trigger on booting it yet.

Again, thanks!
    Bill L

Thanks
    I wasn't so hesitant..... evaluating programs is what I do for entertainment.
    So, I got the ISO, burned it to a CD and booted up my Windows 10 PC with it.

Then the fun began! Endless text menus with choices I could not even understand and I'm a computer tech of 35 years.

I have a similar program on my DOS Utilities CD that is ten times simpler to use. I got it from a friend in the FBI.

If you're interested, PM me for details, and a download link.

Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Not sure if this one will help http://pcsupport.about.com/od/tipstr...xppassword.htm but why were you using your Win 7 disk on a XP machine ?

This one is for Win 7 and is done from the x: prompt in the RE http://www.howtogeek.com/96630/how-t...-the-easy-way/

Some other tools you could look at but I don't know of their complexity. http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolso...ssrecovery.htm
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-05-30 at 21:16.

Thanks
    Please, we have Rules here:
    10. Do not make private-message requests
    Please keep your questions and answers on the public forums. We discourage sending or asking for replies via e-mail or private message. Private requests defeat the purpose of the Lounge, which is designed to share information as widely as possible. If you're worried you'll miss any replies, click the thread's link to receive e-mail notification. You can also set your notification defaults globally in the Your Notifications section of your Profile.
    http://windowssecrets.com/forums/faq...rivaterequests

Just like other fora, Q and A's should be kept out in the open to help others with the same problem.

Whether you have a friend in the FBI or not, you're not allowed to transmit illegal content via the Lounge:
    13. No posting of pirated and/or illegal material
    Windows Secrets is committed to complying with copyright and other laws, and expects all members to comply as well. Using the Lounge to transmit (whether by e-mail, uploading, posting, or otherwise) copyrighted works without the express permission of the owner, or to engage in any activity that infringes any copyright or any other right of a third party, violates these rules. However, short excerpts, especially with a link to the source, that a reasonable person would consider "fair use" under the U.S. Copyright Act are permitted and encouraged. You represent and warrant (a) that you own, or are otherwise lawfully authorized to use, any files, data, text, or other information that you transmit to or through the Lounge, and (b) that any use of the files, data, text, or other information supplied by you does not violate these rules and will not cause injury to any person or entity.
    http://windowssecrets.com/forums/faq...vision#pirated

Thanks
    Bill, if you intend to do a reinstall, then that's fine!

My recovery suggestion (note I said that the defaults are usually fine - you end up with Administrator with a null=no password) has been going for years and years, and I've personally used it about half a dozen times.

Either way will work; you just have to not be fazed by the many messages that their Linux version produces!
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BATcher For This Useful Post:

BillLyte (2015-05-31)

Thanks
    Boot the PC and press Ctrl+Alt+Del twice to bring up the classic logon screen. Where it says 'User name', type Administrator. Leave the password field blank. Press Enter. This will get you into the 'hidden' administrator account where you can create, modify or delete the other accounts.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Calimanco For This Useful Post:

BillLyte (2015-05-31)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to all for the input and links. They may well be of help in the future(being as old as I am).
    Since I only had a few days and few apps installed, I just decided to re-install. It's just a small PITA. If I had months and lots of apps installed it would have been a different story.

@Calimanco , I tried the Ctrl-Alt-Del thing, got to the classic login screen, typed in Administrator with no password, and still got the password error.

And since I am long retired, and basically a shut in for now, it gave me another task to do to waste some time.

As far as why the Win7 disc(it was already on the system in it's own partition), I had to use that to get into 7 to run the repair to reset the MBR, then do the BCD routine to add Win XP to the boot sequence. Once that was done, rebooted with the XP install disc and the install completed.

Again Thanks to all for your time and effort!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BATcher View Post
    you just have to not be fazed by the many messages that their Linux version produces!
    I came from a UNIX environment at my old work place so am familiar with it and Linux, but just decided to do the re-install for no good reason. I am sure it would have worked, but got tired of reading through the instructions and FAQ.

Sorry, my bad for not being patient.
    Thanks for your attempt to help!

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    And you've got the time to be patient!

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hah! yes i do, but that reading through all that text put a big dent in it