2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Junk-free Driver Downloads

I have an older HP desktop computer that was running along pretty good with good old XP operating system. Regrettably I became concerned about Microsoft announcing they were no longer going to support it, so I bought a new Win 7 program and installed it,....only to discover that my old processor was just not up to the speed needed to handle that hungry Win7 operating system.

Reverted back to XP on this machine, and now I wish to accomplish the simple task of reinstalling a driver to hook back up my old Visioneer 5800 scanner. This should be a relatively simple task, correct??

When I go to the Visioneer website it appears to make much more of a project of it than I imagined?, or am I interpreting it incorrectly??
    http://support.visioneer.com/product.../downloads.asp

When I go to look at other download sites I seem to run into this VERY ANNOYING problem that has become so persuasive these days,....trickery and scamming to get a person to click on these various DOWNLOAD buttons and get ALL KINDS of JUNK installed along with the simple piece of software or whatever they were seeking in the first place. To the uninitiated (as I am), I don't always know how to avoid ALL of this trickery and spamming/scamming, ...and sometimes I worry about what is happening in the background that I don't even see??

Is there a recommendation for a GOOD website to go to for an honest download of drivers,...or whatever??
    Last edited by beiland; 2015-05-30 at 17:56.

jwoods
    I would recommend getting drivers of any kind directly from the vendor.

The Visioneer site says you must uninstall the current driver to install an updated driver, and provides instructions on how to do each step.

In the next section, they provide the drivers for the 5800, and the 5820.

You would download and install the USB drivers, English only.
    Last edited by jwoods; 2015-05-30 at 21:06.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    What if I do not have any drivers currently installed on the machine? The instructions seem to be directed at only clients that have a driver already installed,...then they are going to update it??

In the next section, they provide the drivers for the 5800, and the 5820.
    You would download and install the USB drivers, English only.
    Should it really be that 'involved' (as their instructions seem to be), ...just to download a driver for a scanner?

Thanks
    yes
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by beiland View Post
    ...The instructions seem to be directed at only clients that have a driver already installed,...
    You should only need to download and install the English-only driver for the 5800.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Originally Posted by Rick Corbett
    I'm pleased to hear that (previously well-respected) SourceForge announced yesterday it will stop bundling third-party adware with the downloads of open source apps hosted on its platform.

I hope others follow this practice soon because, like you, I'm tired of searching out the genuinely clean downloads without any unwanted tag-alongs or misrepresentation. (For example, Foxit Reader... with its Foxit Cloud tag-along that gets re-installed automatically with every automatic update... grrr!)

Hope this helps...
    Brian replied:
    I just found this 'review' of SourceForge,....not too good at all ??
    Warning: Donít Download Software From SourceForge If You Can Help It
    http://www.howtogeek.com/218764/warn...u-can-help-it/