Thread: USB Hub

Lounger
    Thanks

USB Hub

Unable to get WXP to recognize either Belkin 4 port or D-Link 7 port USB hubs. Shown as unsupported in Device Manager (drivers missing). No help from either company's website. Anybody been able to get WXP to recognize any secondary USB hub from these manufacturers?
    Doug

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Re: USB Hub

Yes. I have a Belkin 7 port hub that works properly in all three of XPP, 2kP and 98SE.

XP should pick up the hardware on first boot up with the hub plugged into your machine and powered up. I seem to remember an extra USB driver was added. In Device Manager the USB drivers in XP now are :

Generic USB Hub
    Intel...USB Universal Host Controller
    USB Root Hub

(They're probably the same in the other two OSs)
    If any of these are missing, I don't think your set-up would work.
    If it doesn't get picked up automatically, try a manual addition of the extra hardware.

Rgds

Lounger
    Thanks

The Device Manager entry is Unknown Device and it says that it is working properly. However, it is not working as a USB hub. Whatever is working properly is undeterminable by me.

I tried a manual hardware add and got the same Unknown Device result. I tried to update the Unknown Device's driver and the program said there was no driver more current on the XPP CD.

The other USB two entries are the same as yours.

In W98,if you did not have a disk for your hardware, you could get a default list of devices and drivers to choose from during a manual hardware install. Is such a process available in XPP?

Thanks,

Doug

New Lounger
    Thanks

I have a Dlink 4 and a Belkin 7. The Dlink installs using XP resident drivers. The Belkin has never installed correctly, even trying to use either the Add Hardware method or the right click/install on the .inf files in the XP driver from Belkin's site. Nevertheless, both devices work correctly.
    If for some resaon your system is confused about the Belkin install under PnP, uninstall it in full XP mode, shutdown, unplug the device, power up in safe mode, remove any possible shadow install under Device Manager, shut down, plug in the hub with power supply connected if available but no devices connected to any of the port and start up letting XP install automatically. Continue with installation under PnP even if there are incompatibility statements and finish the install. Then plug in one device at a time allowing the system to fully detect/connect for each one before plugging in the next.