5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Question Windows Explorer - view defaults - can I change them? How?

Often, when I am using Windows Explorer and I open a folder, the view comes up as icons. I always find myself changing it to "details", which is my preferred view of a folders contents. Is there any way to set this particular view - Details - as the default? Any insight that anyone would care to provide will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Ron M

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Folder Options, View tab, Apply to folders:

To apply the current view setting to other folders
    Last edited by BruceR; 2015-06-01 at 15:55. Reason: more direct link for Windows 7

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceR For This Useful Post:

Fascist Nation (2015-05-31)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    Folder Options, View tab, Apply to folders:

To apply the current view setting to other folders
    Bruce, thanks for the reply, but I can find nothing in the reference that provides any details on what it is I am trying to do. Maybe I am missing something, or my "requirements" were not sufficiently stated. The description of the ribbons and panels that are in the reference do not match what I am seeing in my Windows Explorer or in the Control Panel. For example, the instructions on the referenced web site state:

Open Folder Options by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking Appearance and Personalization, and then clicking Folder Options.

I do find not any clickable option that is explicitly "Appearance and Personalization". I am also not sure how applying the current view setting to other folders, gets me to where I want to be. Maybe it is not possible to "set" a default for the display of all folders, rather, it is necessary to set them one at a time.

I am running Windows 8.1 Professional if that makes any difference.

Ron M
    Last edited by Ron M; 2015-06-01 at 15:50.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron M View Post
    Bruce, thanks for the reply, but I can find nothing in the reference that provides any details on what it is I am trying to do. Maybe I am missing something, or my "requirements" were not sufficiently stated. The description of the ribbons and panels that are in the reference do not match what I am seeing in my Windows Explorer. I am running Windows 8.1 Professional if that makes any difference.
    It makes a difference about where to start, but you didn't mention 8.1 or post in the Windows 8 forum section so I assumed Windows 7 (which has Organize but no ribbon).

In Windows 8 File Explorer, after setting Details view, click Options (right end of View ribbon tab), Change folder and search options, View tab, Apply to folders button.
    Last edited by BruceR; 2015-06-01 at 15:57.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Change your view to Details then click the View tab then click the Options button. That should open the Folder Options. Click on the View tab. Make any other changes you wish, click the "Apply to Folders" button, and click OK.

Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    It makes a difference about where to start, but you didn't mention 8.1 or post in the Windows 8 forum section so I assumed Windows 7 (which has Organize but no ribbon).

In Windows 8 File Explorer, after setting Details view, click Options (right end of View ribbon tab), Change folder and search options, View tab, Apply to folders button.
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    Change your view to Details then click the View tab then click the Options button. That should open the Folder Options. Click on the View tab. Make any other changes you wish, click the "Apply to Folders" button, and click OK.

Joe
    Bruce, sorry about the confusion, but I think I have it worked out now. I was able to work out your instructions with those from JoeP and it appears to be providing the solution I was looking for. Thanks to both of you.

Ron M