2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 10 Notice this AM

I received Notice this morning via system tray about Windows 10 free upgrade. However as I began to read I found this:

"Windows 10 Home users will have updates from Windows Update automatically available. Windows 10 Pro and Windows 10 Enterprise users will have the ability to defer updates." That's nice of them, but I don't want Windows 10 messing around with drivers and stuff.

Does anyone know of this is one time force feed that I will be able to fix later? If I won't be able to control updates then the free upgrade is not for me. Thanks.

Diane

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    If you have Windows 10 home you will not be able to postpone updates. However, Microsoft has modified the way updates are distributed. Ongoing updates will be distributed the same way the Windows 10 TP has been distributed. The last description I saw was that there will be fast and slow rings and a general release ring. The optional fast ring will receive updates first. If the updates pass muster in the fast ring then they will be distributed to the slow ring. When they pass slow ring muster then they go to the general release. Updates will have a much wider test audience than in the past. It does not mean there will be no problems just that when problems popup they will be more likely to be caught before a general release.

Joe

Thanks
    I am thinking a change to the host file could stop auto updates. Unless the ip addresses will be hard coded.

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    If you have Windows 10 home you will not be able to postpone updates. However, Microsoft has modified the way updates are distributed. Ongoing updates will be distributed the same way the Windows 10 TP has been distributed. The last description I saw was that there will be fast and slow rings and a general release ring. The optional fast ring will receive updates first. If the updates pass muster in the fast ring then they will be distributed to the slow ring. When they pass slow ring muster then they go to the general release. Updates will have a much wider test audience than in the past. It does not mean there will be no problems just that when problems popup they will be more likely to be caught before a general release.

Joe
    Joe:

Perhaps I'm not understanding.....I'm not concerned about postponing updates because I do not postpone security updates ever; what I'd prefer is to select the updates I want as I have in the past and have not accepted drivers and other things I don't want or need. I just want the ability to pick and choose what I feel is best for my PC. If that's not going to happen, then I'll pass on the free upgrade and just stay with Win 7 HP or get Pro later.

Diane

Administrator
    Thanks
    If you are running Windows 10 Home you won't have a choice. You should keep an eye out for what an upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro will cost. There has been no official pricing announcement yet. Then you can decide about the free upgrade followed up by a Windows 10 Pro upgrade.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Subject: Windows 10
    Received this update for my Win 7 Pro this morning after returning from vacation. It did two (2) noticeable things:
    1. Blue screened my system.
    2. After reboot i got this icon on the system / status bar that said upgrade to win 10 now...?
    I thought the official release would come in late June or early July?
    What is this?

So since Win 10 is "free" will MS now charge for required updates to keep it running?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mpmajor6 View Post
    Subject: Windows 10
    Received this update for my Win 7 Pro this morning after returning from vacation. It did two (2) noticeable things:
    1. Blue screened my system.
    2. After reboot i got this icon on the system / status bar that said upgrade to win 10 now...?
    I thought the official release would come in late June or early July?
    What is this?

So since Win 10 is "free" will MS now charge for required updates to keep it running?
    It is to get you to sign up now for Windows 10 when it is released July 29. tated many times, updates to Windows 10 will be free for the life of the device after you upgrade.

Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    If you are running Windows 10 Home you won't have a choice. You should keep an eye out for what an upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro will cost. There has been no official pricing announcement yet. Then you can decide about the free upgrade followed up by a Windows 10 Pro upgrade.

Joe
    Well, that's a killer for me...no free upgrade on my desktop. My updates will be managed by me.

I will either stick with Win 7 HP or buy a full version of the OS at a later time. Fortunately, I have a laptop with Win 8.1 Pro on it so I can at least try the OS as free upgrade to see if buying the upgrade for the desktop is worth it. Somehow making me take Skype and Bing and Silverlight, etc is not appealing to me.

I read on a Windows site, (I wished I could remember which one) that Win 10 Pro would be 199.00 and Win 10 Pro Pack would be 99.00. Thanks for your help

Diane

Administrator
    Thanks
    I've seen that the Windows 10 Pro Pack will be $99 USD. This is the piece which will upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro.

Joe

Thanks
    If you have a Windows 7 Pro or Ultimate, you'll be upgrading to Windows 10 Pro, like wise with Windows 8.1 Pro.
    But if your current OS is Windows 7 Home/Premium, you WILL NOT be able to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro...
    ...You'll be stuck with the lessor "home" version, that possibly, forces updates on you.

I wouldn't get too excited about it at any rate, if there is enough of a beef about updates being forced, then
    I'm sure someone will come up with a hack, and in short order at that.

For all you worry warts out there I suggest you make an image to fall back on in case the install goes sideways.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/windows-10-faq
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.