Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    3 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Posts
    288
    Thanks
    46
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts

    Getting Windows 10 upgrade reservation

    Showed up on task bar this morning.


    w10taskbar.JPG W10Window.JPG
    George

  2. #2
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    chicago
    Posts
    18
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    came here to post the exact same thing, i woke up to this as well. i won't bother with the screen cap since it is identical. guess it is coming out soon, ehh????

  3. #3
    jwoods
    Guest
    Thread already started on this topic here...

    http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...-Win10-upgrade

  4. #4
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Durham UK
    Posts
    6,607
    Thanks
    147
    Thanked 869 Times in 831 Posts
    I wonder if all of these invites are related to MS's spying in as much those who have been invited are likely to buy Win 10 apps and know that I'm normally a tight wad - which could be why I didn't get one

  5. #5
    WS Lounge VIP access-mdb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Oxfordshire, UK
    Posts
    1,721
    Thanks
    146
    Thanked 156 Times in 149 Posts
    I have had an invite and I'm just as much a tight wad as you, especially as I haven't been using 10 very much due to the problems mentioned in other posts.

  6. #6
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Durham UK
    Posts
    6,607
    Thanks
    147
    Thanked 869 Times in 831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by access-mdb View Post
    I have had an invite and I'm just as much a tight wad as you, especially as I haven't been using 10 very much due to the problems mentioned in other posts.
    I think I've been missed out because I've hidden the "ease of update" KBs with having no intention of upgrading.

  7. #7
    3 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Maryland, USA
    Posts
    362
    Thanks
    15
    Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
    If you got it, it's because you allowed it by doing Automatic Windows Updates. One or both of either KB3022345 or KB3035583 caused this notice and probably has already reserved your copy of Windows 10. Fortunately if you don't want it, it looks like you can un-reserve your copy - although they don't tell you how to do that. Woody has been talking about this for some time now on his website - Askwoody.com. You should check it out.

  8. #8
    3 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Posts
    288
    Thanks
    46
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Looking forward to W10, after it's been out a month or two.
    George

  9. #9
    Silver Lounger lumpy95's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Mojave Desert CA
    Posts
    1,842
    Thanks
    258
    Thanked 174 Times in 147 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    I think I've been missed out because I've hidden the "ease of update" KBs with having no intention of upgrading.
    Me too. I hid both KB3022345 ( Diagnostics ) and KB3035583 ( Win 10 update nag ) until I see how Win 10 plays out. Besides being a "Tight Wad" also, LOL, I won't be in any rush to upgrade.
    At least I would be able to update to the Pro version since I have win 7 Pro sp1 and be able to defer updates if I wanted.

  10. #10
    WS Lounge VIP Browni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Rochdale, UK
    Posts
    1,650
    Thanks
    38
    Thanked 161 Times in 139 Posts
    Plenty time left lumpy95. plenty time.

  11. #11
    Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Carlisle UK
    Posts
    69
    Thanks
    20
    Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lumpy95 View Post
    Me too. I hid both KB3022345 ( Diagnostics ) and KB3035583 ( Win 10 update nag ) until I see how Win 10 plays out. Besides being a "Tight Wad" also, LOL, I won't be in any rush to upgrade.
    At least I would be able to update to the Pro version since I have win 7 Pro sp1 and be able to defer updates if I wanted.
    Same here, I hid both of those updates.

    I noticed that apparently an MS account is still required for the W10 pro version. Are MS insisting everyone has to login with a MS account as that is something I would not be comfortable with, particularly with a pro version. I can't see them getting that by businesses in any case where security is (hopefully) a much higher priority than many home users

  12. #12
    Super Moderator jwitalka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    6,792
    Thanks
    117
    Thanked 798 Times in 719 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slorm View Post
    Same here, I hid both of those updates.

    I noticed that apparently an MS account is still required for the W10 pro version. Are MS insisting everyone has to login with a MS account as that is something I would not be comfortable with, particularly with a pro version. I can't see them getting that by businesses in any case where security is (hopefully) a much higher priority than many home users
    Logging in with a Microsoft Account is not required in either Windows 8(.1) or Windows 10. There is a procedure for logging in with a local account for both OSes.

    Jerry

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

    Slorm (2015-06-08)

  14. #13
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    10
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    I don't see it yet

    With Win 7 SP1 I haven't seen the same notification as my Win 8.1 tablet.

    Is this going to be a problem?

  15. #14
    Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    97
    Thanks
    15
    Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
    I his the update. Although I have been using the Win 10 TP on an old Asus Eee PC, I will not be upgrading via the "free upgrade" since it comes with a price, though not monetary. It seems that with the "free" upgrade you will not be able to choose your updates to install, as they will all be pushed to you. I've read that only the full paid versions will allow you that choice. It reminds me of the free cell phones we get that come loaded with bloatware that we cannot uninstall. I will stay on 7 until 2020 when support ends.

  16. #15
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Durham UK
    Posts
    6,607
    Thanks
    147
    Thanked 869 Times in 831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by miztrniceguy View Post
    I his the update. Although I have been using the Win 10 TP on an old Asus Eee PC, I will not be upgrading via the "free upgrade" since it comes with a price, though not monetary. It seems that with the "free" upgrade you will not be able to choose your updates to install, as they will all be pushed to you. I've read that only the full paid versions will allow you that choice. It reminds me of the free cell phones we get that come loaded with bloatware that we cannot uninstall. I will stay on 7 until 2020 when support ends.
    No, it's only the Home version where you have no control over the updates - Pro and up over free or otherwise are the only versions where you have control and I agree, given MS's history with updates, it is a worry.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •