New Lounger
    Thanks

Software preservation

Hi,
    I'm new on this thread so forgive me if this has already been asked: Will the upgrade to W10 preserve non-MS software and data/e-mail addresses,etc. such as in Firefox and Thunderbird?

jwoods
    Welcome!

You might download and run the Windows 8.1 Upgrade Assistant...

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...ows-7-tutorial

It has been stated in the past that software that is currently running on Windows 8.1 will run on Windows 10.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    That was true for W7 > W8.1. But I can't find anything regarding W10 to that effect.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Window Insider seems to indicate that most Apps and data will be preserved.

jwoods
    The Get Windows 10 app (Gwx) does compatibility checking...

http://www.zdnet.com/article/will-yo...r-to-find-out/

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwoods View Post
    The Get Windows 10 app (Gwx) does compatibility checking...

http://www.zdnet.com/article/will-yo...r-to-find-out/
    Thanks. marty

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by revmrf View Post
    Hi,
    I'm new on this thread so forgive me if this has already been asked: Will the upgrade to W10 preserve non-MS software and data/e-mail addresses,etc. such as in Firefox and Thunderbird?
    Most likely, yes, but you should still backup anything you don't want to loose.
    Even if you should get rock solid assurances that everything will be fine a backup is still in order.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

Fascist Nation (2015-06-04)

Thanks
    As an experiment, I installed Windows 10 Tech Preview as an upgrade to my existing Win 8.1 (64-bit) setup after making a full system image backup. I found that I had to re-activate my installation of MS Office Pro and also MS Project and MS Visio. (I held off doing this since I would rather wait for the final roll-out of Windows 10 when there will presumably/hopefully be no clash with the Office software). I also found that WebrootSecure Anywhere prevented access to the internet ("missing socket component"). Despite uninstalling Webroot and restarting the system, I was unable to correct regain access to the internet and had to restore my Windows 8.1 System backup, uninstall Webroot and then "upgrade" to Win 10 tech Preview again. All worked fine (except for the need to re-activate my Office products as mentioned earlier).
    (My Setup: Custom built: 4.00GHz Intel Core i7-6700K CPU; MSI Z170A Gaming Carbon Motherboard (Military Class III); Win 10 Pro (64 bit)-(UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; 2 X GeForceGTX 1070 8GB Graphics Card (SLI); Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2017 Premium, Norton Internet Security, VMWare Workstation12 Pro). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    It is not unusual that software such as Webroot has compatibility problems with a new version of Windows. That type of software which interacts with Windows as such a low level often requires an update of some sort to be compatible with a new release.

Reactivating Office with an OS upgrade is common too. That should present no problem to do.

Joe

Thanks
    @Joe: Thanks. Of interest, just before Win 10 tech Preview installation started, it did a "compatibility check" and advised that Webroot was incompatible AND offered to remove the program. I selected "yes" and after a moment installation of Win 10 proceeded. However, once installation had finished, Webroot started at boot (but was no-longer present in "programs and features" and also not visible in Revo Uninstaller Pro. A search for "webroot" revealed nothing. There was no way I could uninstall it "again", so I shut down Webroot protection and then found that access to the internet had been broken. I kept getting a "missing socket" error message when trying to connect to the internet and could not resolve the issue. Eventually I reverted to my Windows 8.1 system via recovery of a fresh backup. Next time round I will uninstall Webroot before attempting the Win 10 installation ...busy, busy!!! I have no doubt that Webroot will be upgraded to be compatible with Win 10 in due course (whether or not I will stay with the product is another matter).
    (My Setup: Custom built: 4.00GHz Intel Core i7-6700K CPU; MSI Z170A Gaming Carbon Motherboard (Military Class III); Win 10 Pro (64 bit)-(UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; 2 X GeForceGTX 1070 8GB Graphics Card (SLI); Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2017 Premium, Norton Internet Security, VMWare Workstation12 Pro). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    To back up Firefox and Thunderbird, find the profile folders, and copy them (and all the files contained in them) somewhere off your system like an external hard drive or a USB Flash drive.

Then if they are not preserved, it will be no big deal to reinstall Firefox and Thunderbird, and copy the profile folders over to them. If you have to do it, as long as you have saved the profiles, you can do an internet search to look up how.