Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thinking ahead - this could get really messy if Windows 10 'Auto Downloads"

Just re-read the Win-10 Official Adware Upgrade Notification in my system tray and these stood out to me:

* It will download once available
    * You'll get a notification after Windows 10 is downloaded
    * 3GB download

I can see two scenarios where this will be really bad news for me.

1. Home - I live on an island with slow 'broadband' (3 Mbps down nominal, usually much less). We have 5 elegible devices - a total of 15GB to download that could take literally days to complete.
    2. I support a tuition centre that has 28 PCs. Their busy period is after school from 2 - 8pm. Even though they have reasonable speeds if 20 people turn on their machines withing 15 minutes of each other and try to suck 60 GB down the pipes things are going to grind to a halt just when they need their machines for the first students. It's a low-budget situation - Workgroup not AD so managed deployments don't really happen.

Has any one seen talk about how to handle this situation?

I'm hoping I'll be able to kill the auto-installs, download a single copy and deploy manually after a few weeks. That should let the the first flurry of issues get resolved.

I've just uninstalled the notification patch (KB3035583) on my home PC and my laptop as a start.

Any thoughts or resources related to this?
    Last edited by flippertie; 2015-06-01 at 23:15.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    There has been some talk about Microsoft using peer-to-peer to distribute updates. Have not seen any details about it though. There will certainly be ISO files distributed too. I'd keep an eye out for more information as the date gets closer.

Joe

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

flippertie (2015-06-02)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    There has been some talk about Microsoft using peer-to-peer to distribute updates. ... There will certainly be ISO files distributed too.
    Thanks for that.
    Based on leaked screen shots and the fact the MS acquired Panda networks it seems that they will have some sort of P2P over LAN update available.

jwoods
    It won't auto install.

Microsoft says on the GWX screen that you will be notified when it's downloaded.

You can either install it then or later.

GWX Screen.jpg

It is also implied at the bottom of the Windows 10 FAQ and Tips page that Windows Update must be enabled to receive the upgrade.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windo...auxapp_context

Our lawyers made us say this:

Windows 10 Upgrade Offer is valid for qualified Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 devices, including devices you already own. Some hardware/software requirements apply and feature availability may vary by device and market. The availability of Windows 10 upgrade for Windows Phone 8.1 devices may vary by OEM, mobile operator or carrier. Devices must be connected to the internet and have Windows Update enabled. Windows 7 SP1 and Windows 8.1 Update required. Some editions are excluded: Windows 7 Enterprise, Windows 8/8.1 Enterprise, and Windows RT/RT 8.1. Active Software Assurance customers in volume licensing have the benefit to upgrade to Windows 10 enterprise offerings outside of this offer. To check for compatibility and other important installation information, visit your device manufacturer’s website and the Windows 10 Specifications page. Additional requirements may apply over time for updates. Security and features are kept automatically up-to-date which is always enabled.

So the corollary may be to disable Windows Update until you're ready to download the upgrade.
    Last edited by jwoods; 2015-06-02 at 00:42.

Thanks
    @jwoods: "So the corollary may be to disable Windows Update until you're ready to download the upgrade. "

Yes, especially if you are unsure as to whether or not any of your important software will be rendered incompatible by the upgrade ...
    (My Setup: Custom built: 3,70GHz Intel Core i7-4820K CPU; MSI Military Class iii X79A-GD45 Plus Motherboard; Win 10 Pro (64 bit) - (UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; GeForceGTX 980 4GB Graphics Card; Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2015 Premium, NIS 2016, VMWare Workstation12 Pro, etc). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by flippertie View Post
    Based on leaked screen shots and the fact the MS acquired Panda networks it seems that they will have some sort of P2P over LAN update available.
    This article says the peer-to-peer update option will only be available after the initial upgrade to Windows 10 (with a screen shot of the setting within Windows 10):

And as the population of upgraded PCs grows larger, a new feature in Windows 10 will kick in, reducing the load on Microsoft's servers. Options in Windows 10 will allow peer-to-peer transfers of apps and OS updates, on the same network and potentially over the Internet. This feature won't affect the initial Windows 10 upgrade, but it should help with the large OS updates due to arrive on Windows 10 PCs at regular intervals after the initial upgrade is complete.

Get Windows 10: Microsoft's biggest software upgrade in history begins today

Thanks
    peer-to-peer transfers of apps and OS update
    Really! Anybody else hear warning bells in the back of their heads or is it me

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I run Win 7 on several computers in my family. All are receiving the "push" Win 10 campaign by having the Get (Reserve) Win 10 icon appear in the system tray. Clicking on "Customize" and telling the OS to Hide Icon and Notifications works until I shot down, but then the icon reappears the next time I start up.

More scary, my laptop (used only be me) suddenly was switched in the Windows Update preferences from "Notify me and I will decide" to "Automatically download and install"

Has anyone else experienced this, and has anyone been successful in regaining control over their machine?

jwoods
    Go to Task Scheduler, navigate to Microsoft > Windows > Setup > gwx

Disable the two tasks in the gwx folder, and reboot. That will stop the GWX icon from loading and GWX.EXE from running.

GWX did not change my WU preferences, but I have seen them changed in the past. It's been a while since it last occurred.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to jwoods For This Useful Post:

BuckarooB (2015-06-26)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, I've done this and will report back.
    My understanding is that MS will "push" Win 10 on systems through Windows Update and if you have their recommended setting (automatically download and install), your machine will change its OS whether you want it to or not. Is that your understanding? I set WU to "Let me choose..." anyway, but that's why I was concerned that it changed my settings to "Automatically..."

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckarooB View Post
    My understanding is that MS will "push" Win 10 on systems through Windows Update and if you have their recommended setting (automatically download and install), your machine will change its OS whether you want it to or not. Is that your understanding?
    No:

Install it right away or pick a time that’s good for you.

How to Upgrade to Windows 10 - Microsoft