Thread: iTunes Discord

Star Lounger
    Thanks

iTunes Discord

I'm sure someone out there has the answer. There's been nothing in the newsletter on iTunes since 2010 and nothing in the Lounge that addresses my aggravatingly simple problem.

My computer had to be wiped and the data files and Widows 7 were reloaded. However, the company that did the restore decided to rearrange the file structure. They also failed to note that my PUBLIC area was full of photos and music. 'No one uses Public for anything.' ...except me. Therefore, music files did not restore.

I had my music backed up on an external hard drive. Bringing it in was easy and getting the playlists back worked fine, but iTunes will not play it. It cannot find the music. I point. It ignores me. I have 15,728 pieces of music and extensive playlists, so instructions I found for pointing to every piece of music will not solve my problem and didn't work anyway.

There are at least two commercial programs that claim to solve the problem by using my iPod to restore the music files. Since the iPod is only place the music actually plays, I am reluctant to just plug it in and let it get overwritten by the non-working library that is the laptop.

If you understand the problem and have experience solving it, please enlighten me.
    1) Can I get iTunes working from my file backup?
    2) Do you have experience with one of the programs that will recover the music from my iPod -- if that is the way to go?

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I finally have an answer in the form of a workaround:

1. Do not plug your iPod into your PC.

2. Put your iPod into Disk Mode. This is done by pressing the buttons on the iPod in a particular sequence. To find out how to put your iPod into Disk Mode, follow Apples instruction page: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1363. Once you iPod is in Disk Mode you will see a large tick on the iPod screen.

3. Once you iPod is in Disk Mode, connect it to your PC.

4. Click on the drive letter that represents your iPod (it will probably be E: or F.

5. Folders on your iPod are usually "hidden". To display these folder, in the Windows Explorer navigation menu, click on "Tools-> Folder Options" and click on the "View" tab. Choose the "Show Hidden Files and Folders" option and click "OK."

6. Look for the "iPod Control" folder and open it. Click on "Music" in that folder. There should be a number of other folders here, named F00, F01, F02 and so forth. These are your music files. They are not organized in a any particular fashion within these folders, you'll have to organize them later.

7. Copy the "Music" folder to your hard drive or whatever other device you choose. Or, if you do not want to select all the files, pick and choose through the MP3s. You should be able to see the file names as you mouse over each individual file.

8. After you have copied all your files from iPod into your Computer you can see that all files are labeled with a 4 letter file name. You cannot understand which file is for which Song because all information is hidden into the file. But do not worry about that because you can play them in Winamp, Windows Media Player or QuickTime and then you can see all information such as Album Name, Singer and all other information what you added before in your iTunes. You can then rename the files if you would like or you can keep them as they are.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Oh the joys of an automated and completely opaque file naming system!