Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

KeePass on Android

I've been using KeePass on my Windows PC for several years and am very content with it.
    I want to use it on an Android phone and/or Tablet; can anyone recommend a safe Android App for KeePass?
    The website showed several, but I am unsure which to use.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I use KeePass on both PC and Android. AFAIK, there are only three real choices of android apps that are compatible with KeePass PC databases: KeePassDroid, Keepass2Android, and KeepShare.

I know nothing about KeepShare other than it costs money. (There is a crippled, "Lite" version, but why bother with crippled when the other two are free and work quite well?)

I've tried both of the others and they are quite similar, though I find KeePassDroid easier to use. OTOH, that may be because Keepass2Android is arguably a little more secure.

With KPD you open the database and select an entry, and it copies the username and password to the android notification shade, where you can then copy/paste into websites or password entry boxes in other apps. K2A instead copies the credentials to its own, secure keyboard, so when you open your web browser it takes a few more steps to select the keyboard and then select the username/password to paste. It's a little less convenient, though supposedly prevents the possibility of other apps snooping on the cut/paste operation without your knowledge.

K2A comes in two flavors--one version that only opens a local db and another that will directly open cloud dbs, such as a KeePass db stored in gdrive or dropbox. The latter can be used even if you haven't installed the cloud provider's android app, because it accesses the cloud directly. OTOH, that's a slower way of getting at your stored passwords. (Of course, this assumes you have a cloud account.)

KPD only opens a local db, though you can use it with gdrive or dropbox if you install one of those apps on your android device and sync a folder on your device to the cloud. KPD accesses the local copy of your db, and the cloud provider's app keeps it in sync with the cloud.

Bear in mind that if you use a strong master password to open your KeePass db, that can be a hassle on your mobile, where keyboards are harder to use. That might give K2A an edge, because it has a quick-reopen feature that allows you to use a shorter password to reopen the db if you've already opened it (with the full password) recently.

OTOH, there's a companion app to KPD that allows you to open it via a NFC tag (assuming your device is NFC-enabled) and thus avoid having to wrestle with a entering a complicated master password.

(For myself, I settled on KPD with NFC.)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dg1261 For This Useful Post:

DavidPierson (2015-06-16),Trev (2015-06-03)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks very much for such a detailed reply.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    My Pwd. Mgr. on my Tablet,
    is:
    - "SafeInCloud" 4.8 stars overall
    at Google Play Store: https://goo.gl/jnXeb

and read the user comments there.

At the end, bought the PRO version
    for extra interesting features.

It has a cut & paste PWD feature,
    just like the K2D app, mentioned above.

I believe you can import
    your existing KeePass format pwds.

On my desktop PC
    I use LastPass.
    Brilliant!

I wish I could use LastPass on my Android tablet.
    Tried it, but had problems
    with the LP Tablet version...

Anybody else wants to share their experience
    with "SafeinCloud" and "LastPass" on Android?

SF99
    - Pale Moon 25.4.1 and FF 37.0.2
    - Ubuntu Linux 12.04 (32-bit)
    - Samsung Tablet Galaxy Tab3 / Android 4.2.2
    Last edited by SF99; 2015-06-04 at 16:41. Reason: +info details

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Keepass2Android uses the same base code as KeePass so it includes the KeePass sync functions. This is great for keeping everything up to date.

cheers, Paul

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I went for KeePassDroid and am very satisfied, it fulfills the functions I require, not needing any synchronisation function.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Compatibility

It should be noted that the SafeInCloud Password Manager does have a Windows version also, so syncing is superb between android & windows directly. Almost all existing password manager databases can also be imported (or exported back from) SafeInCloud. Have been using it for years. I unusually found a database of another password manager which did not import, & worked with the developer who went to the trouble of specifically updating the app to accept it's particular format.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Why should we use SafeInCloud over KeePass? It's not open source or free and the website is light on detail about the encryption.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    On the contrary, I believe the website (not necessarily the Google play store front) is just as detailed if not more professional in appearance than the keepass site https://safe-in-cloud.com/en/

Moreover, whereas keepass appears to offer near exact same 256 AES encryption, not certain that it offers full cloud synchronisation too enabling all cross platform devices like PC, Mac, tablet (android or iOS) & phone to be restored from encrypted cloud database if the device(s) themselves are lost or stolen. Just depending on a local copy of the encrypted database only for example can be risky. SafeInCloud also seems to have similar portable tools. No not open source but just a one off (very inexpensive) support payment instead.
    Last edited by macutmore; 2015-06-11 at 05:34. Reason: additional info, spelling error

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I DO NOT synchronize password managers between my Desktop and Tablets.

I NEVER take my Desktop with me when I am in public places,
    so it is safe from pickpockets etc. - it is physically secure in my home with those I trust.

If someone steals my tablet and gains full access before I realize my loss,
    I will not worry.
    There is no tablet access to my bank etc.
    My tablet does NOT have passwords etc. to my Desktop email accounts.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Physical security of the database itself might be the worry, if for example the database got lost or corrupted. Like any cloud backup, it can be a godsend when a local copy is destroyed or lost for whatever reason. It is only the database that syncs encrypted to any cloud of your choice, not to other devices. Naturally the whole thing is protected same as keepass with single master password of your choosing. Ability to use portable devices (in themselves encrypted totally) with the same password vault is extremely useful. Driving licence copies, passport copies, notes you name it can also be synced. Not sure if keepass can store images & important personal 'copies' of documents too. The user interface of SafeInCloud appears less 'verbose' than keypass & has material design. But you pays your money, you takes your choice. The good thing is that it is easy to change from either to either with the superb import export capability.
    Last edited by macutmore; 2015-06-11 at 05:35. Reason: spelling error correction

Thanks

Another vote for Keepass2Android

I went through this exercise when I bought my first Android phone 18 months ago. In the end I chose to store my password database on OneDrive and use it via Keepass2Android on my phone. This has worked brilliantly.

The data are maintained using KeePass on my Windows PC - I wouldn't want to have to do this on the phone. It is very convenient to be able to open the same db file from the two programs (desktop & phone).

However, the main password manager on my PC, which is used for all my passwords and is the master, is separate (a different program entirely). The cloud db is restricted to a small subset (common, non-financial passwords), only 10% or so of the total in the master db.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Browser extension capability works well too with SafeInCloud, pulling in the individual specific URL related encrypted database either with Chrome or Firefox, it's a pity though, as neither Internet explorer is covered, or Windows phone, but I have every suspicion the developer will tackle a Windows 10 Microsoft Edge extension or perhaps support a Windows 10 universal app too.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by macutmore View Post
    Browser extension capability works well too with SafeInCloud, pulling in the individual specific URL related encrypted database either with Chrome or Firefox, it's a pity though, as neither Internet explorer is covered, or Windows phone, but I have every suspicion the developer will tackle a Windows 10 Microsoft Edge extension or perhaps support a Windows 10 universal app too.
    On the basis that my Thread was specifically about KeePass, I think you've pushed your product sufficiently...you could always start another Thread of course.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Trev View Post
    On the basis that my Thread was specifically about KeePass, I think you've pushed your product sufficiently...you could always start another Thread of course.
    Apologies. Just attempting to justify some kind of answer to Paul T's comment on why anyone would want to use SafeInCloud over KeePass, & of course your original incorrect statement that there are only three real choices of android apps that are compatible with KeePass PC databases. It's not my product. I only have a licence to use it & much prefer it over Keepass, for just some of the reasons mentioned. I'll refrain from going into any other reasons in your thread.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast