Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Reservation Notice Not Showing Up

Should I be surprised that the "reservation notice" is not showing up on my system? It is an 8.1 Pro, and I have installed KB3022345 and KB3035583 (which were presented as "optional" on my system). Perhaps MS is rolling this out slowly. I'm really not in a hurry for 10, but was curious how common this situation is.

David

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a few machines that have the upgrade notice icon showing in the Notification Area, haven't seen any problem with it. Is it visible when clicking the tiny Up arrow on the left end of that area?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Nope. I have a number of other icons showing when I click the little up-arrow - but nothing about reserving the Win 10 update.

David

jwoods
    Some of the reasons why are documented in the Windows 10 FAQ and Tips.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windo...auxapp_context

See the section "Why don't I have the Get Windows 10 app?"

Thanks
    If you donít see the Get Windows 10 app on your PC, it might be because:
    1.Your device isnít up-to-date with at least Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8.1 Update.
    2.Windows Update is turned off or is not set to received updates automatically.
    3.Youíve blocked or uninstalled the necessary Windows Update functionality.
    4.Your device is not running genuine Windows.

Running Windows Update and installing any available updates will fix the first three issues. Need more help? Go to our Windows Community Forum.

PCs that we determine cannot run Windows 10 will not see the Get Windows 10 app before July 29, 2015. After July 29, 2015, weíll enable the icon in the system tray. This is to help ensure that you can easily check your PCís compatibility if you choose.

If your device is managed as part of a school or business network, please check with your IT administrator about upgrading to Windows 10.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    Point 4 sounds interesting...

If you're not running genuine Windows you won't see it but come 30th July you're gonna get nagged to Hell!

Thanks
    If you're not running genuine Windows you won't see it but come 30th July you're gonna get nagged to Hell!
    LOL A typical Microsoft fashion nagging.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    My system is genuine, and has all the required Windows updates installed (including the two "optional" updates that are supposed to be involved here: KB3022345 and KB3035583). This is not a company system - it is a Dell system that was delivered with 8.0 and updated to Pro and then to 8.1 (or is is 8.1.1?).

Again, I'm not in a big hurry for this, but it is curious - and a bad sign, I think, for a "smooth" update process.

Just another nail in the coffin - I use Macs for about 80% of my work now, and this is likely to drive me to 99%. I used the PC primarily to run business software (I am now retired) and for games (primarily simulators, like Flight Simulator - and a better flight simulator - XPlane - is now available on Macs). So....

David

Further information. Thanks for the info about the MS page with support information. They provide a script to run to test - which I did- and it fails to find a required registry entry - and also loops trying to run the compatibility appraiser. The MS help instructions say two updates are required - and one (KB2976978) was not installed. It was available as an "Optional" update, and I installed it. (This update required a reboot.) I don't know how this would ever be installed if it was optional. Anyway, after the reboot, I ran the check again and it fails again. It says

Folder: \Microsoft\Windows\Application Experience
    TaskName Next Run Time Status
    ======================================== ====================== ===============
    Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser 6/4/2015 12:29:38 AM Running

but I checked the Task Manager and I can't find that process running. Maybe it is suggesting waiting for 24 hours? Crazy.

Needless to say, the update reservation icon has not appeared.

David
    Last edited by djredfearn; 2015-06-03 at 12:00. Reason: Additional Information

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by djredfearn View Post
    it is a Dell system that was delivered with 8.0 and updated to Pro and then to 8.1 (or is is 8.1.1?).
    It's really 8.1.2 you need (the Update after 8.1 Update 1): Do you have KB2919355 installed?

Further information. Thanks for the info about the MS page with support information. They provide a script to run to test - which I did-
    Could you provide a link to that? I can't find it.

Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser 6/4/2015 12:29:38 AM Running
    Is your PC set to an unusual time zone? You're in tomorrow already.
    Last edited by BruceR; 2015-06-03 at 13:16.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...2-a999a883265b (81 pages of posts, the last time I looked).

You get there from http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...upgrade?auth=1

The clock in my lower right hand corner says I am living in 6/3/2015. Where did you see the other time zone?

I do have the KB2919355 update installed - it was installed last April.

I have seen a few posts that says running the GWX program fixes the problem. I didn't for me - and others report the failure too.

I understand MS has a very complex hardware environment to deal with, but once again, they are making this too hard.

(1) Windows 10 should be free to everyone with hardware that will support it. (And, I mean one version - not Home, or regular or Pro.)
    (2) They should post a link to download and run a program that will evaluate your PC to make sure it can support W10.
    (3) They should support a link to download the update.

David

Thanks
    I'm having the same issue with my Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 desktop. The required KBs are installed and I still don't get the icon in the System Tray.

Jerry

jwoods
    Check in Task Scheduler to see if the following folders exist and have tasks set to run...

Microsoft > Windows > Setup > gwx

Microsoft > Windows > Setup > GWXTriggers

Thanks
    In my case, they exist and have a last run result of "The operation completed successfully".

Jerry

jwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    In my case, they exist and have a last run result of "The operation completed successfully".

Jerry
    The gwx folder should have two tasks -

launchtrayprocess - Runs under the INTERACTIVE account
    refreshgwxconfig - Runs under the SYSTEM account

The GWXTriggers folder should have three tasks -

Logon - Runs under the INTERACTIVE account
    OutOfIdle - Runs under the INTERACTIVE account
    refreshgwxconfig-B - Runs under the SYSTEM account

Thanks
    Yep. I have all 5 tasks. In the triggers folder, the three tasks have a status of ready, ready, and running.

Jerry

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast