New Lounger
    Thanks

HELP - Bizarre mouse behavior has me pulling my hair out!

I can't remember the last time I had a computer problem I couldn't solve (w Google's help). My computer is solid/pristine (HP Pavillion HPE series w Win7 Pro 64-bit (version 6.1 build 7601: Service Pack 1) Intel i7 2600 3.4GHz - 10 GB RAM. 6-month old Logitech Performance MX wireless mouse then switched out to generic USB HP mouse that came with this system but never used (so both mice pristine). System is totally stable except for erratic mouse when browsing the web in fully updated MSIE & Chrome browsers.) Antivirus is top rated ESET NOD32.

This started happening about a month ago. Here's what happens when I browse the web in either MSIE or Chrome. After a few minutes (always no problems initially) the mouse cursor stops reacting on mouseover (it stops changing to a hand icon). No automatic underlining of hyperlinks and inability to select normal text when the cursor is over the text/hypertext. Then it really gets weird. I discovered that hyperlinks above the cursor are being selected instead of the text/links under the cursor (see screenshot attached). This also happens when I try to select and copy text from a web page. However, when I move the pointer over any part of the browser interface (eg; scroll bars, title bar, buttons, etc. . .) there are NO problems. (Mouse and pointers are fully functional in all apps/programs including hyperlinks in PDF files and MS Word documents).

mouse madness.jpg

Here's what I've tried so far with no effect on problem . . . .
    - disabled all browser helper objects and plug-ins but quickly realized that was not issue since MSIE and Chrome showed same symptoms
    - examined Chrome flags but didn't see anything suspicious.
    - reviewed startup and installed programs. I uninstalled a few unneeded things but nothing unusual.
    - changed various mouse settings. Uninstalled/re-installed Logitech drivers
    - Ran CCleaner registry cleaner and ESET full scan.
    - uninstalled Logitech wireless and replaced with wired USB generic mouse
    - multiple system reboots

Remember, the computer runs great during all other tasks. WTF is this??? I don't run any funky virtual machine software and the computer runs smooth - even when I edit huge JPG or RAW files. Internet browsing is fast and smooth. One last thing, when I look at my gmail in Chrome the pointer/cursor works fine.

I've searched Google for hours to no avail. Expert help appreciated. Thanks in advance! (I've been lurking here for years - since WOW days. This is a great forum!)

jwoods
    Have you tried a different USB port?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yep - completely different USB-3 port

Thanks
    Have you tried re-installing your graphics card drivers?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Funny you should mention it. I was just getting ready to try this next. I do have a vague memory of updating my NVIDIA graphics drivers a couple of months ago while adjusting my monitor for photo editing. I think I violated that age old dictum to avoid "fixing what ain't broke". Will report results here when completed.

Thanks
    If your mouse is a USB-2 type, it may have a problem with a USB-3 port. I had that problem and switched to a USB-2 port and all was fine.

Of course, my problem applied to all programs, not just a browser.

I hope this helps.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to JC Zorkoff For This Useful Post:

Fascist Nation (2015-06-04)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    OK - fixed it. First I uninstalled/re-installed the NVIDIA graphics drivers which fixed the problem in Internet Explorer but not Chrome. So I uninstalled/re-installed Chrome and all is fixed. I remembered that I had downloaded updated NVIDIA drivers and installed without uninstalling the old ones (which NVIDIA support says is a no no). Don't know what happened with Chrome but it's squeaky clean now.

Thanks for the suggestions and help.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You should not use a mouse or keyboard on a USB3 port as hardware and Windows drivers need to load before you can use USB3 ports. There isnot speed or other advantage either.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Re: USB3, thanks for info. I was unaware.