Thread: BIG or small?

2 Star Lounger
    Lanyon, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

BIG or small?

Christmas is all but done here in Oz, but Merry Xmas feelings to all those stuck in front of the box for company (I'm lucky - I've got a great family to keep me company, they're just not night owls due to shift work like me). For everyone - I hope Christmas was safe, happy and is a good omen for 2002.
    On to I hope what is a simple request for help from an infrequent visitor to "woodys" with nothing to offer but questions (but always grateful for the advice).
    I have a small (15")screen with vodoo fx card which is otherwise working really well. For reasons unknown, sometimes when I boot up - everything is "blown up" ie, icons, wallpaper, folders - everthing - is "too big" for the screen but is NOT distorted - they just don't fit on the screen (my button bar seems to know this - it shows the ">>" symbols for the missed buttons - but it appears to be the only part of my machine to recognise that something is a bit screwy).
    When I do a restart from the start menue WITHOUT making any chganges, everything is fine. To further confuse things, sometimes things are fine right from the first boot up - again without changes to anything in the start up routine.
    Is this a glitch in Window '98? Is there a way around it? Why does it happen sometimes and not others?
    (I dunno if this is relevant as these problems occur regardless of whether I have been using the net or not, but one of the progs buried in startup is launching my net connection dialouge box - I don't use auto connect with my 56k line and it pops up regardless of whether I get the screen "blow ups" or not)
    Any ideas folks?
    Thanks in Advance
    Ben W
    Australia

Thanks

Re: BIG or small?

Ben,
    Are you saying the effect is similar to changing your screen resolution - i.e. you normally run (say) 1024 x 768 but is as if it has switched to 800 x 600 ?

I also think you need to check out what is starting at startup:

Start > Run (and type in)
    msconfig.exe
    and press RETURN

This will show you what is being started automatically - from memory it is the last tab and you can selectively disable what you don't want.
    I don't like the sound of something trying to connect automatically at boot-up. It may be spy-ware (check out <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=free&Number=11301&page=0&vi ew=collapsed&sb=5&o=0>Ad-Aware</A> and scroll down to get the latest link) - or you may have 'Automatically check for Internet Explorer updates' selected under Tools > Internet Options > Advanced.

(I trust you are well away from the fires?)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yeah Leif - exactly (re the screen res) - but I'm not changing the res, and it doesn't always appear big - it appears to happen randomly. Weird.
    I will have another look at what I have auto starting and let you know, I don't think I could find anything that should be setting off the dial up window. If it is spyware, I have black ice running and block anything I don't know so that should help?
    (We had fires around the Australian Capital Territory, but New South Wales is copping it far worse.)
    Hope you haven't been snowed in!
    Thanks
    Willow

Star Lounger
    Thanks

PIII 450mhz, Win98SE, 17" screen, Voodoo 3dfx card, 2.5 year old Dell box

I have the same thing happen- infrequently, randomly, from start, restart, or sleep mode. Have never figured it out (or tried too hard, as it just seems to be a minor pain, and not cause problems). If the computer is sleeping and the monitor is powered off, I'll switch on the monitor first, which seems to increase the odds of correct screen res. Oh, and if I right click the BIG screen> properties> settings, I cant change the res there, have to restart to get it right. ???

(edit) My startup is the bare essentials, plus my virus scanner. This behavior has occurred with both McAfee and Innoculate IT

Dave

Thanks

Anything here help?

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-GB;q127139&GSSNB=1>Troubleshooting Video Problems in Windows (Q127139)</A>

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Hi
    FWIW : sleep/hibernate or whatever you want to call them - these modes I always find a pita, and so I make sure they are switched well and truly OFF (inc. in the BIOS).
    I run 3 OSs and in none of them is the return from one of these modes smooth and straightforward. I leave my system on permanently (apart from essential maintainance/hardware mods) and when leaving, simply switch off the monitor display. Have done this for years without causing any major upset (except perhaps in energy consumption).

Rgds

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks goodness I'm not the only one! (My machine is a PIII 500 Celeron, vodoo 3dfx, win98 (the Mk II version, which I guess is SE), and except for this annoying glitch has been running fantastic - even with the Celeron which everyone told me would be a dog. The only dog I found was when I flirted with ME!
    I don't want to change anything in my set up but I guess one simple component is the key. Microsoft product support is no help (sorry Lief - I'm not trying to sledge your obvoius IT knowledge - just "Uncle Bills" lack of understanding that not everyone is fully IT literate - what a ###### of a site to navigate!. I just wish I knew the silly bit causing all the grief.
    I've included a capture of my startup files. Let me know what you would ###### off, & I will see if it makes the difference.
    (& whatever thanks to all for the help!_
    Willow..Oz
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks

I note there are two entries for the LoadPowerProfile - what happens if you just deselect one?
    If you do not have any scheduled tasks set (backups etc.), I'd say you don't need the Scheduling Agent anyway.

You may be interested to see this page <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.cexx.org/webhancer.htm>here</A> regarding WebHancer - personally I would be inclined to dump it. Pronto.

W98 is not exactly my forte, but I would try deselecting the following and see if you notice anything:

Ensoniq
    QuickTime
    LoadPower
    Scheduling
    Microsoft Office

If you notice no detremental effect, I'd leave them deselected.

(Reduced the size of your graphic a tad.)

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Leif:
    I have Win 98SE & 2 entries for Load Power Profile. That's normal for Win98 if you use Power Management. One each for

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentV ersionRunServices &
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentV ersionRun

A handy reference is <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www2.whidbey.net/djdenham/Printerdesktop.htm>http://www2.whidbey.net/djdenham/Printerdesktop.htm</A> & also <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_pages/startup_full.htm>http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup...artup_full.htm</A> for startup programs.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Phil,

Those two links you provided were an invaluable reference. They should be in everyone's bookmarks so that when a question arises regarding "what is this program" it's a click away. They're certainly in my favorites!
    -Mark

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

> also think you need to check out what is starting at startup:
    Start > Run (and type in)
    msconfig.exe
    and press RETURN

Thank you!