Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts

Review: Logitech G710+ Keyboard

Hey Y'all,

I just thought I'd let you know about this keyboard. I've been looking at this for quite a while but was put off by the price but saw a Kinja deal last week and scored it for $90. Let me just say I'm in love! I got real tired of the membrane keyboards and was using a 1980 vintage Micron ( the Sherman Tank of keyboards) mechanical keyboard because it's a lot easier on my fingers and hands with as much time as I spend at the keyboard. However, no multimedia keys, no special function keys (browser, email, etc.) I'd done all my research on the Cherry switches and knew I wanted the Browns, which the G710+ has.

Well, I'm already more productive as I can type a lot faster and more accurately on this keyboard than the old tank!. The feel is exactly what I was looking for. In addition I got a great volume roller (nice and wide for my fat fingers) and mute button. A full set of CD/DVD control keys. The really nice bonus are the six G-keys (programmable) and three M-keys which turn the 6 G-Keys into 18-Programmable keys. I've already got the G5 & G6 keys programmed to close a tab in FF and Refresh the screen which saves me all kinds of time & finger fatigue when Lounging! I've also have the G1 & G2 keys setup to Dock Left & Dock Right (do this all the time when using File Explorer dual windows). I'm currently thinking of using the M2 bank for moving code from Notepad++ into the VBE and back, e.g. single key Ctrl+A, Ctrl+C and maybe another for Ctrl+V so I can move the mouse with one key to select the appropriate window and the other hand to do the key work. If you saw how I work you'd understand the need for this better I'm sure.

The Extras I don't need but are neat. Back Lit keyboard (2 Zones) with 4 brightness levels + off. A Game Mode key that turns off the Windows Key while gaming. I know this is a "gaming" keyboard but I think it's also a programmers dream keyboard, at least this programmer.

WARNING: This keyboard uses TWO USB 2.0 ports on your COMPUTER! You are specifically admonished not to plug it into a hub! Almost forgot to mention that it does have 1 USB2.0 pass through port on the edge above the F10 key to make up for the 2nd one it uses on your computer. I've got my USB wireless mouse plugged into it.

Note: There is software to download for the keyboard.

As always YMMV!

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    How about a link RG, I'm getting lazy in my old age.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    How about a link RG, I'm getting lazy in my old age.
    I'm not even going to comment! Logitech G710+. I noticed that Amazon lowered the price some but still not as good as the $90 I got with the code from Kinja Deals (sorry it was a 1 day'er). HTH

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Thanks. The use of the "Two USB ports" got my interest.

I'm using this Corsair model right now. I like the feel of the mechanical keys, and the compact and sturdy size that's easy to clean.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    For tyose of us on this side of the pond - http://www.amazon.co.uk/367/dp/B00CM...gitech+G710%2B (but they don't have any in stock at present).

Thanks
    Hey RG...I've been using my Logitech G510 for some 5 plus years now and like you I don't know how I'd function with out it. Me being a gamer the extra G keys come in real handy.

Thanks
    Nice review RG. I see it's down to $85 on Amazon now, with free shipping, which is only $2 dearer than their all-time low. I hope you don't meet any of the repetitive problems with it [key caps and lighting breaking] since Logitech require returning the entire keyboard instead of sending a replacement cap.

That said, I'm jealous When I had a quick look at keyboards and mice 6 months ago, your one came second in my wish list--first being the Corsair K70 which looked worth the extra money to me [$110 lowest ever on Amazon].

Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    a great volume roller (nice and wide for my fat fingers) and mute button
    I hate rollers with no markings--I never know whether the function is low or high. My black volume wheel [not on keyboard] was the same, so I marked it with white paint, which saves time and frustration. Looks like the mute button is lit if on, which is good.

Quote Originally Posted by RG
    The really nice bonus are the six G-keys (programmable) and three M-keys which turn the 6 G-Keys into 18-Programmable keys.
    Very useful. For anyone who would like 75 programmable keys in a compact layout which could sit beside a normal keyboard, try something like the G13 Gameboard. I used an older version about a decade ago for a specific business productivity need and it saved me a lot of time. A similar idea is Programmable keypad, foot mouse and foot switch.

G6 keys programmed to ... Refresh the screen
    Just curious, why not F5?

single key Ctrl+A, Ctrl+C and maybe another for Ctrl+V so I can move the mouse with one key to select the appropriate window and the other hand to do the key work
    Yes, two of the most useful shortcut shortcut functions Ctrl+H too.

I know this is a "gaming" keyboard but I think it's also...
    A good rule of thumb for hardware is if you're looking for better performance or quality, check out the "gaming" version of whatever it is. You will pay a sticker premium, but if you want the good stuff it's usually the best place to start.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Feury View Post
    Just curious, why not F5?
    Mike,

I'm just lazy! I can rest my left arm on my desk extension and easily tap the F5/F6 keys w/out moving my arm while moving my mouse with the right hand. Makes zipping through the Lounge really easy especially while using Jefferson's NPFL overlay.

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs