Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Pretty cool battery life extender.

My Harmony 650 eats batteries; have to change them every 35 to 40 days. I would buy these devices yesterday if I could.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/29289...0-percent.html

Thanks
    Guess I am just a believer in science but no thanks, and funny thing I think cold fusion just might be happening (but with more input energy than output energy) . If I am wrong I'll be buying a couple of dozen
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Just a fact that a lot of electronic devices start to, well, not work once the battery voltage drops to around 1.1V/cell. As the article implies, there's still a lot of chemistry left that just gets thrown away otherwise. Not saying that draining a battery to near complete depletion won't cause other issues (such as leaking and such), but still, it would be nice to be able to just squeeze a lemon til there's no more juice left as opposed to treating batteries like fissile nuclear fuel where we only now use less then 5% of the fuel before declaring it spent. So much waste if you ask me.
    Last edited by lylejk; 2015-06-03 at 23:23.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lylejk View Post
    My Harmony 650 eats batteries; have to change them every 35 to 40 days. I would buy these devices yesterday if I could.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/29289...0-percent.html
    I agree 100%. Today's batteries only last a long time while they're on the store shelf (supposedly). At the price they want for them, this technology should have been built into them a decade or more ago! Thanks very much for the heads up on this! I'll be watching - and hopefully not waiting too long.

Thanks
    You don't just need the voltage you need the CURRENT ! This would only be good for very low current applications. Maybe a smoke alarm, oh wait maybe I'll just buy a new battery for that.

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Remotes only need enough umph to send the command pulses.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I love the "it must be fantastic because we've been the victim of industrial espionage" line, otherwise known as a publicity stunt.

cheers, Paul

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    I think I'll just keep using my rechargeable batteries. Anyone with an interest in the environment and minimising battery expenditure would already be doing that...
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by macropod View Post
    I think I'll just keep using my rechargeable batteries. Anyone with an interest in the environment and minimising battery expenditure would already be doing that...
    Rechargeables are great for some uses, but they start off at a bit lower voltage which may affect some applications. I bought the highly recommended Eneloops to replace aging stock batteries in m cordless house phone and they do not seem to be an improvement. Likely because the charging circuitry on the phone bases is not tuned to the needs of the Eneloops. Basically I am a green guy but I buy a couple dozen AAs when I run out.
    David

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If you can find them, Nickel-Zinc rechargeables are pretty good. They start out at slightly higher voltage then Primary batteries (opposite of NiCds/NiMH).

http://www.engadget.com/2009/11/09/p...-some-cells-w/

Thanks
    Interesting. I had not heard of them before.
    David

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I screwed up my old set by putting them in a NiCD charger by mistake (idiot sometimes I can be; lol). These worked fantastically in my power screw driver that I used when I was doing contract work regularly. I've not had a reason to get a new set until my Logitech Harmony remote. I just changed the batteries again last week (only 28 days this past time). Time for me to go back to rechargeables (so I just purchased a 4 set of them from Amazon; 2800mAh; pretty cool). lolol

Good thing about this technology is it has new zero leakage; indeed the batteries come already fully charged for use. I like the 1.6V/cell spec. They did mention that flashlights have been know to blow up using these batteries (too high a voltage), but digital cameras love these batteries. Again, my power screw driver did so too.

Thanks
    Keep us posted. I use 4 c cells in a shower radio that I have been afraid of trying rechargables in. Maybe just the thing!
    David

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    PowerGenix don't apparently make AA batteries anymore. I actually ordered UltraCell NiZn batteries. Just hope the PowerGenix charger (those batteries were 2500mAh) won't have a conniption with UltraCell's 2800mAh NiZn. Gamble I know though. As for C batteries, PowerGenix does sell a sub-C battery but I do not know if those are compatible with regular C batteries as far as compartment fit is concerned. I do know PowerGenix use to sell battery adapters so you could put a 2500mAh AA into a D sleeve for instance, but don't think they still sell those type adapter sleeves.
    Last edited by lylejk; 2015-07-01 at 00:44.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wavy View Post
    Basically I am a green guy(:
    How does that equate with using lots of water by having a shower so long you need a radio?

cheers, Paul

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast