Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Caution editing an email hyperlink (Word97SR2 and on)

I got caught again.

In composing a Word document I typed my email address dyslexically as cgeraves without noticing, tapped return. Word sees that it is an email address, turns it blue and inserts a MailTo hyperlink.

Later I notice my clumsy typing and carefully change the text to cgreaves using only one finger instead of my customary two.

The blue text looks great. The underlying hyperlink still tries to MailTo some guy called geraves!

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Caution editing an email hyperlink (Word97SR2 and on)

Hi Chris,

I just tried this in Word 2000, and don't get the same problem i.e. the underlying address does change when I edit the hyperlink text and it gets sent to the right guy. - Maybe 2000 is smarter than 97 in this case?

Question 1: when you correct the spelling in the hyperlink text, and then put the cursor over the hyperlink, does the tooltip display the corrected spelling?

Question 2: with the insertion point anywhere in the hyperlink text, right-click, click on Toggle Field codes - does the address inside the the field code show the corrected spelling?

- in Word 2000, the answer to both is Yes.

Gary

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

> Maybe 2000 is smarter than 97 in this case?

aka "fixed this design feature", eh?

Q1: does the tooltip display the corrected spelling?
    No. The tooltip continues to display "geraves"

Q2: does the address inside the the field code show the corrected spelling?
    No. Edit Hyperlink shows "geraves"

I started a new document to answer your question, typed the incorrect spelling, got the blue hyperlink, then used the left-arrow cursor key to move back to the mis-spelled name, tapped the DEL key to remove the "e", leaving me "graves", then used the right-arrow key to position the cursor to type the "e" leaving me "greaves".

I have essayed yet again, this time selecting the entire hyperlink field, typing the name correctly, and examining the hyperlink.

Typing "rudolph@the.north.pole" or even "email" over the selected blue text leaves the original mailto: hyperlink intact, pointing to geraves.

I could make use of this from time to time, but the prospect of having a system of automated email address generation that can't automatically correct itself is scary.

Still, it looks like the got it right in W2000.

Thanks for the confirmation.

Q3: In Word2000, if you have started a new document, typed an email address, witnessed the Hyperlink and right-clicked to edit it, do you get prompted to save your document, not that Word cares, because you can answer "NO" anyway? It's one of the few cases I know where you can type for DAYS without saving your document, but oh boy! You go to edit a hyperlink and you-better-save-it!

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Q3: No, no prompt to save the document. Looks like another 'design feature' fixed!

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Chris & Gary:
    Well, I get a 3rd answer in Word 2000. Sometimes it's fixed & sometimes it ain't. If I type

prhab@earthlink.net

and then put the cursor in front of the "r", delete it, move to after the "h" & type "r", so it reads

phrab@earthlink.net

the underlying link doesn't change. it's still wrong. However, if I delete two letters "rh" & type "hr", it's still wrong. BUT, if I delete "rh" & then go back & type "hr", it corrects itself. I can also correct the link by selecting & pressing F9.

If I type "gcreaves@etc. & then backspace over "gc" & correct it, the underlying link corrects. I think if you correct the front, the back, or enough of the middle (perhaps in 2 steps--deleting & then typing), it seems to correct the underlying link.

This is strange because it's NOT supposed to correct itself. This allows you to to have a long link & type a shorthand expression for it. At least that's the way it works with anything starting with http:// or with www:. Email seems to be different.

Although, sometimes it "updates" & sometimes it doesn't. Yeech!