Star Lounger
    Thanks

Image file on a DIET? Anyone ever?

Can Win8.1 make a smaller-footprint Image Backup?

I need to install a CAD program upgrade, but Iíve been warned that it might not work nice with Win8.1 and if it does not work, the ONLY solution will be to uninstall it. Iíve also been warned that when it uninstalls, it may disrupt the Win8.1 system and I will need to perform countermeasures.

I have backed up the Registry.
    I have set a Restore Point.
    I have File History backing up the data Libraries, hourly.
    And Iíve made a flash drive copy of the Documents folder.

I now need to make a [smaller-footprint] Windows Image Backup, but exclude the data files. Why smaller Image? Because with the data files, the image backup would not fit on a memory stick.

Is there a way to shrink the size of the Image Backup? Or is that not a good idea?
    If not, is there another approach (or product) that makes sense? Iíve been wondering if the hyberfil.sys, Win update file dendrites, certain temp files etc could be deleted to make the Image footprint smaller. Iíd use CCleaner to delete, but not without an Image Backup.
    Or should I just TRUST System Restore to deal with it?
    Paul

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Messing with system files to shrink an image is NOT a good idea. Using the disk cleanup applet will safely remove files for you. Go to Control Panel and type disk cleanup in the search box, then click on "free up disk space...). Once the initial scan is complete click on the "Cleanup system files" button. It will do another scan. Then you can select various types of files to delete. NOTE: the scans and file deletion may take a while to complete.

Consider acquiring an external HD. Memory sticks (aka thumb drives) are too unreliable for me to trust them for something as important as a system image.

If you are concerned about the stability of your system because of software being installed make an image backup before you begin the installation.

Joe

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

PointFive (2015-06-03)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    JoeP517.
    Thank you for giving consideration to my question.

My goal is to make a slim image backup before I install the CAD software.
    Are there any image slimming options (aka switches) available to exclude "documents" from the image backup process, for example " -\documents " ?
    Paul

Thanks for the tip re: Cleanup System Files safely. I ran it and it eliminated 1.7GB of mostly Win-Update Files. That leaves 50GB of Image Backup, described as OS(C System 49GB, which I assume includes Document files which total 5GB, or maybe not. Maybe hyberfil.sys, cache files and other stuff is in there, too?
    Last edited by PointFive; 2015-06-03 at 20:48.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    If you don't use hibernation turn it off, re-boot, and delete hyberfil.sys if it is still there. You may use disc cleanup to delete temporary internet files or use the Internet options dialog in IE to remove them. If you use another browser check its settings for the way to delete temporary file.

Some backup software will automatically skip the page file and hibernation files. Remember, an image backup is meant to be a complete backup of the drive or drives selected for backup. I would not trust File History to be a backup system as there have been too many reported issues with it. I'd make sure that the data which is important to me is backed up solidly. As frustrating as it may be it is only time to reinstall software that is required if the system crashes as long as your data is backed up. Data is the most important part of the system as much of it is irreplaceable or much more time consuming to reconstruct than it is to install programs.

Many in the Lounge would recommend third party software to image your system.

Joe

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

PointFive (2015-06-06)

Thanks
    FYI
    Macrium Reflect can do a smart image and leave out pagefile ,, and ha a compression option, but DO follow Joe's advice.
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to wavy For This Useful Post:

PointFive (2015-06-07)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wavy View Post
    FYI
    Macrium Reflect can do a smart image and leave out pagefile ,, and ha a compression option, but DO follow Joe's advice.
    Wavy:
    Thank you for this info. Is that the free or paid Macrium?

Slimware's RecImg Manager was suggested by a poster. From what I've read about it, Slimware has created an absolutely simple image backup and restore product with zero options. But its not a gigabyte slimming product.

Does anyone know if Slimware can shrink the image file, too?

Paul

Anyone know if SlimWare's Recimage manager has options to reduce the size of the image file?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    If you don't use hibernation turn it off, re-boot, and delete hyberfil.sys if it is still there...
    Whenever I have turned hibernate off in "Power Options" in Win7 & Win8 the hiberfil.sys file remained. But if I run (admin-level command prompt):

powercfg -h off

the hiberfil.sys file is removed.

See: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...e-disable.html
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Coochin For This Useful Post:

KIWIpeteW (2015-06-15),PointFive (2015-06-07)

Thanks
    Is that the free or paid Macrium?
    Free version
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to wavy For This Useful Post:

PointFive (2015-06-08)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PointFive View Post
    Is there a way to shrink the size of the Image Backup? Or is that not a good idea?
    If not, is there another approach (or product) that makes sense?
    Quote Originally Posted by PointFive View Post
    That leaves 50GB of Image Backup,
    Buy a 64GB flash drive for $18.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceR For This Useful Post:

PointFive (2015-06-09)