Thanks

Using WUSA to install downloaded Windows/Office Updates NOW!

I am trying to run the ~monthly Windows and other Updates at a particular time in the early morning by waking up a quantity of PCs, and using WUSA to install those updates which have been subject to the option: "download updates but let me choose whether to install them".

However, a trawl of the likely folder to which the Windows Updates (I'm looking for *.MSU files) are downloaded [C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Downloads] shows mainly a lot of non-sufficed files and folders, plus some .CAT, .MUM and .MANIFEST files. (Shouldn't they all have been deleted after execution?)

On a home PC I have one outstanding Important update and four Optional ones, but nothing relevant appears in C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Downloads.

Has anyone done any work in this area? I'm fairly baffled...
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Thanks
    Not familiar with WUSA.

I use "Portable Update" to apply WU patches to my own and customers' computers: http://www.portableupdate.com/

Have it on a 2TB USB HDD, currently about 30GB stored to update XP, Vista, Win7, and Win8/8.1 computers.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Maybe. MS may leave it for retrograding in case an update fouls things up. Or more likely MS doesn't do a very good job of cleaning up after itself. I can relate.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    My guess is that BATcher means Windows Update Services (WUS), which is of course the standard client-driven updater built into Windows. I'm not familiar with the WUSA acronym.

Though I do seem to recall that Microsoft fooled around with the name of WUS a few years back? Eventually they reverted to the original name (thank goodness!). Unlike the SkyDrive/OneDrive dalliances, and the Xbox/WinPhone/Metro/RT/Modern/Windows UI soap opera.

Thanks
    C:\Windows\System32\Wusa.exe

See "Description of the Windows Update Standalone Installer in Windows": https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/934307
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    No, I did actually mean WUSA, but on my machine that's dated in November 2010! No changes since.

Portable Update seems an interesting product, but all our machines are connected to the internet. It may be that scheduling the Windows Update process to happen every Wednesday at 04:00 (say) may enable the update to start itself off on each PC, and finish by the time the first person turns up for work. I'm not sure how reliable this timing is, but will undoubtedly find out shortly!
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

jwoods
    Start it at 1 AM and you should have plenty of time.

How are you going to handle updates that fail?

Updates that require restarts?
    Last edited by jwoods; 2015-06-06 at 02:46.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BATcher View Post
    ...waking up a quantity of PCs, and using WUSA...
    How many PCs do you mean by "quantity"?

Are the PCs on a client/server network?

...(Shouldn't they all have been deleted after execution?)...
    No, to allow for uninstallation of problem updates.

...Portable Update seems an interesting product, but all our machines are connected to the internet...
    I regularly have to set up customers' new computers or reinstall Windows. I can set Portable Update running on a computer to install the WU patches then go on with other work while it does its thing. Because Portable Update downloads each patch only once it does not slow my Internet connection unnecessarily (e.g.: the last Win7 reinstallation needed 230+ WU patches @ <> 1.7GB, which did not need to be downloaded again).

jwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by Coochin View Post
    I use "Portable Update" to apply WU patches to my own and customers' computers: http://www.portableupdate.com/
    I think I'll give this a try...looks much simpler to set up than Windows Server Update Services (WSUS).

What does the annual commercial license cost?

Thanks.
    Last edited by jwoods; 2015-06-06 at 04:50.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwoods View Post
    I think I'll give this a try...looks much simpler to set up than Windows Server Update Services (WSUS)...
    You're welcome.

First-time you run it on each OS (XP, Vista, W7, W8/8.1) it will ask to download all available WU patches for that OS. You can de-select individual patches but I suggest let it download them all so as to avoid being prompted repeatedly.

After "patch Tuesday" each month I connect the Portable Update USB HDD to each of my PCs, to download and install the latest updates for XP, Vista, and Win7 (I haven't bothered installing Win8/8.1 on any of my systems but have used Portable Update on many customers' Win8/8.1 computers). After which whenever I need to update a customer's PC Portable Update already has at least most of the required updates ready to install without need to download again.
    Last edited by Coochin; 2015-06-06 at 05:05.