2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

LibreOffice has taken over from Windows Picture Viewer

I got a new (used) Windows 7 laptop last week and until I installed the newest LibreOffice, if I clicked on a picture file, Windows Picture Viewer (I think that's the right Windows feature!) would show me the picture. Now LibreOffice Draw has taken over. How to I reset things so they're back the way they should be? I thought I could open the picture viewer directly from the help section, but even that's been usurped.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    Areader,

You need to adjust the File Associations for .jpg .gif etc files to use Windows Picture Viewer (LibreOffice install changed these).

Just click the orb and type File Associations -> click on the top entry in the search list and have at it.

BTW: In the future select Custom Install to see all the options to avoid this type of problem.

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your reply. I *always* use a custom install, unless it's not available, and then I think about whether I really want to install that program at all. Usually all I do is change the install folder so that I've grouped things into as few categories as possible (Office, Internet, Utilities, etc.), making it easier to remember later on what kind of program "that" was. And, of course, telling the program I don't want all those extras it's trying to foist onto my computer.

Since I posted my question, I've discovered that LibreOffice has taken over other file types, such as databases and spreadsheets. It's probably taken over other types that I don't even know about.

Brain flash!! I think I may have given the installer carte blanche because I don't have Microsoft Office. I *will* uninstall and reinstall and be more careful this time. Thank you again for your answer, which triggered my memory.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    Areader,

Uninstall may not solve this type of problem as many uninstallers do not reverse all changes made to the registry. If you used a program like Revo Uninstaller Pro to monitor the installation then using it to do the uninstall it would most likely fix the problem. Just be aware.
    HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by areader View Post
    Brain flash!! I think I may have given the installer carte blanche because I don't have Microsoft Office. I *will* uninstall and reinstall and be more careful this time. Thank you again for your answer, which triggered my memory.
    You don't need to reinstall. It takes more time to sort out what goes where if you want a truly custom job. You probably want LibreWrite, LibreCalc and LibreImpress to handle normal Office files. Only LibreDraw is a problem. Open the file associations as instructed or through the control panel, sort by clicking at the top of the 'default' column, and locate those associated with LibreDraw. Change only the ones you want to open with Windows.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Actually a reinstall (try a quick repair/modify option to see if the following is true before doing a complete uninstall reinstall) would offer the OP the list of file associations AGAIN and allow them to select this time those they wanted LO to handle. It would have been nice if LO would have a menu you could select post-install to do this for you again but they do not.

jwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascist Nation View Post
    It would have been nice if LO would have a menu you could select post-install to do this for you again but they do not.
    Go to Programs and Features, select LibreOffice, select Change.

Click Next until you get to the default applications (creates the file associations) screen.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to jwoods For This Useful Post:

Fascist Nation (2015-06-05)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwoods View Post
    Go to Programs and Features, select LibreOffice, select Change.

Click Next until you get to the default applications (creates the file associations) screen.
    oooooooooou, very nice.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I tried that. I don't get an option to do anything but choose whether it will handle the various MSOffice file types. I unchecked all, let it finish, restarted my computer and it's still hijacking files, including something I hadn't noticed before: it intercepts my right clicks where I choose "send to browser" and sends them to Writer. That's nasty, because if it's an HTML file (from Eudora 7.1), I see all the coding and have no way to then send it to the browser. I don't remember the previous version of LibreOffice doing that! Next try is uninstalling and reverting to the previous version of LibreOffice

jwoods
    I'm curious what version you're using.

I use 4.3.7.2, and have no issues.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The newest: 4.4.3. Or rather, I was until right after I wrote that last post. Right now I have no LibreOffice installed and all is as it should be. My old one was 4.3.1, and that's what I'll install, although not until tomorrow, because it's now 10:47 pm.

jwoods
    I usually select Still (currently at 4.3.7) instead of Fresh (4.4.3), and have never had a problem.

From LibreOffice -

LibreOffice Still is the stable version that has undergone more testing (over a longer time).
    It is usually recommended for more conservative use.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, I reinstalled 4.3.1 and the same thing is happening again. Now I think it's a problem with the computer. Since I got this used laptop only about a week ago, I believe I'll head back to the store today and see what they say.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I just installed 4.4.3 (fresh) and was correctly presented the option to open only MSoffice files.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I used "Default Programs" to set Firefox and Picture viewer as the defaults and now that's all happy. Thank you very much everyone.