Lounger
    Thanks

Classic Desktop?

Before I install the free (July 29) Win 10 upgrade from my current Win 8.1. Will Win 10 have the same option to use the "classic" desktop screen with all of my shortcuts that I have added, or will I have to use the new "tiles" screen? I currently have the option for both via the start key. I do not like tiles. Also should I backup EVERYTHING before the upgrade?

Thanks
    I don't know about "classic" but you'll have a number of potential desktop screens at your disposal.

You should always be backing everything up prior to an upgrade, as a matter of standard practice.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

gmnaz (2015-06-04)

Thanks
    I doubt that it will be needed in Windows 10, but "Classic Shell" v4.2.1. has been upgraded to work with Windows 10 Tech Preview. It "adds some missing features like a classic start menu, start button, a toolbar for Windows Explorer and others".
    (My Setup: Custom built: 3,70GHz Intel Core i7-4820K CPU; MSI Military Class iii X79A-GD45 Plus Motherboard; Win 10 Pro (64 bit) - (UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; GeForceGTX 980 4GB Graphics Card; Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2015 Premium, NIS 2016, VMWare Workstation12 Pro, etc). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to petesmst For This Useful Post:

gmnaz (2015-06-04)

Lounger
    Thanks
    By classic I am referring to the desktop screen that appearers at startup with all previous os ( WindowsXP- Windows Vista- Windows 7- Windows 8)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    If you are using a desktop or notebook you'll get the desktop by default.

Joe

8. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

gmnaz (2015-06-06)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gmnaz View Post
    By classic I am referring to the desktop screen that appearers at startup with all previous os ( WindowsXP- Windows Vista- Windows 7- Windows 8)
    It's still there.

You may need to add the system options though, Settings-Personalization->Themes->Desktop Icons

Screenshot (5).png

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Browni For This Useful Post:

gmnaz (2015-06-06)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Classic Shell has more or less saved my life! As a consulting engineer who has only recently updated all our office from XP to Win7 I was horrified to have to get a Win 8.1 notebook. I found this completely alien to our office work environment. Classic shell has allowed me to get back to sanity. I believe Windows 10 bars any such workarounds so we certainly won't be diving in there.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wittenoom View Post
    Classic shell has allowed me to get back to sanity. I believe Windows 10 bars any such workarounds so we certainly won't be diving in there.
    Post #3 above says it doesn't.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wittenoom View Post
    Classic Shell has more or less saved my life! As a consulting engineer who has only recently updated all our office from XP to Win7 I was horrified to have to get a Win 8.1 notebook. I found this completely alien to our office work environment. Classic shell has allowed me to get back to sanity. I believe Windows 10 bars any such workarounds so we certainly won't be diving in there.
    Win10 does not bar add-ons like Classic Shell. See Classic Shell and Start10™, the first Windows® 10 start menu alternative for just two of several.

Joe