Thread: 10 upgrade

New Lounger
    Thanks

10 upgrade

i have windows update set to: download, but let me decide to install. when windows 10 is ready to download will i be able to download it and then when i want to install it....would like to wait awhile to see how things shake out before actually upgrading...

meyerkord

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    That's what will happen anyway:

GWX1.png

Thanks
    Set WU to look but not download, or simply turn WU off altogether.
    Personally I plan to see what can be done to turn the download into an ISO.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    How is that related to Windows 10 upgade?

Thanks
    OOPS
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Microsoft is changing their download policy. They are still going to let Enterprise admins, and sysadmins on computers that are part of a domain decide which updates to install, but for home users, they want users to set Windows Update to install everything, and some updates will set Windows Update to do that even if you didn't select it or want it.

I think that at first, it will be pretty easy to block or delay the upgrade to Windows 10, but as time goes on, it will be harder and harder to do, and finally as Clint suggests, if you don't want to upgrade, you may need to turn off Windows Upgrade completely. Which will mean that you are also not getting the security updates.

Thanks
    I'm certain that some smart apple will figure a way to retrieve the Windows 10 WU, when it becomes available, so that one can make a bootable install disk or ISO out of it.

And when that happens I'll eventually test it by performing a Windows 10 clean install.

But the main thing here will be that YOU have an imaging app that you know works for you & that you trust.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

jwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    But the main thing here will be that YOU have an imaging app that you know works for you & that you trust.
    And you have an image that has been tested and known to be good.

http://windowssecrets.com/newsletter...ackups/#story1

10. The Following User Says Thank You to jwoods For This Useful Post:

CLiNT (2015-06-07)