Star Lounger
    Thanks

Touch screen for Win 10

Hello. I have been reading all I can about Win 10 starting with Woody. I am as confused about alot of things as i'm sure others are. I just read a Paul Thurrot article suggested by Woody. I have a new PC bought last Dec 2014 with 8.1. I had Win Vista Home Premium for about 8 yrs before that and when I bought the new pc from Best Buy they said I could use my Monitor I used with Vista. I don't use the Tile Mode at all in 8.1 but probably should start getting used to it sooner or later. As far as I know my Monitor is not a touchscreen. In one of Thurrott articles about Requirments for Win 10 that he lists it sounds like I will need a new Monitor touchscreen to me to be compatible with Win 10 ??? Even though I understand u don't have to use the Tile Mode in Win 10 and can still use a mouse which I prefer. I don't have a problem getting a touchscreen if I have to as one for the requirments but just am confused as to if I have to have one with Win 10 ? With all this confusion about registering for Win 10, I am not interested in switching to it for at least 8 months into it. Anyone have some comments for me appreciated.
    Pat/ Drdoo2
    Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Pat,

You DEFINITELY DO NOT need a touch screen for W10 on a Desktop or Laptop! However, a tablet is another pane of windows. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by drdoo2 View Post
    In one of Thurrott articles about Requirments for Win 10 that he lists it sounds like I will need a new Monitor touchscreen to me to be compatible with Win 10 ???
    He should have stuck with Microsoft's wording: To use touch, you need a tablet or a monitor that supports multi-touch; Additional requirements to use certain features

(He did say, "This list includes basic system requirements plus additional hardware that is required for certain features." but didn't make it obvious where that change occurred.)
    Last edited by BruceR; 2015-06-04 at 15:40.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Retired Geek for ur knowledge.
    drdoo2

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    thanks Bruce R I looked at ur Microsoft info page and will keep that for further use.
    drdoo2

Thanks
    @ drdoo2

For what it's worth I have been trying out Win10TP on one of my systems for several months now.

System does not have touchscreen, it is standard keyboard/mouse & non-touchscreen monitor.

As at present stage of development (build 10030) Win10 is stable on the above system. Keyboard/mouse operations work as expected in most contexts. There remain some "glitches" but it is expected those will be fixed before the final release.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ok Coochin. Thanks for the info. That will save me a couple of bucks lol

Pat / drdoo2

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Touch not required. Have been using it non-Touch since September... works just fine w/ Mouse & Keyboard.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Attachment 43560

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks drew.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    You DEFINITELY DO NOT need a touch screen for W10 on a Desktop or Laptop! However, a tablet is another pane of windows.
    Allow me to add, that is all true but even with a Tablet most will allow a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse.

As for a touchscreen monitor, most if like my HP Compaq L2105tm that has both VGA and DVI ports require a USB connection to the computer in addition to the usually data cable so the touch signals get to the computer.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    You're welcome

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Berton. Appreciate ur reply.
    drdoo2