New Lounger
    Thanks

Software- compressing .pst file

Hi
    I am trying to solve a large problem on a friends computer and I need some help. I want to run some compression software that will compress the file as well as move the attachments to another folder. My question is- after doing so, is the original email still tied to the attachment or are the attachments just lumped together in a folder. My goal for him is to have him be able to look at the email and the attachment, but downsize the size of his PST file.
    Thanks for your help in this matter.

jwoods
    Outlook has a built-in compression function called "compact".

As long as a file is attached to the email, it is a part of, and accessible, in the email.

If you saved them to a separate folder, and didn't delete the attachments in the emails, you would have them stored in two places.

You might consider archiving older emails (done in a separate .PST file).

Do a Google search for archiving outlook emails and include the version of Outlook in your search.
    Last edited by jwoods; 2015-06-04 at 17:34.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Hello,

If you want that your PST file should get compressed along with the attachments not being detached, then as explained in the above answer, you can follow the two methods: “Compact your PST file” or either “Archive your PST file”.Because you can’t be completely dependent on any third party tool as different tools have different functionality. But as you don’t want to extract all the attachments into a separate folder, then in that case compact & archive are the best options.

Microsoft article to compact PST file:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/289987

Thanks & Regards
    Clark Kent
    Last edited by satrow; 2015-06-08 at 05:12. Reason: Removing spam URL

jwoods
    I was wondering if msoutlooktools.com is your personal site...I noticed it is located in India as well.

Registrant Name: Anuraag Singh
    Registrant Organization:
    Registrant Street: RZ 40/7A, Gali No. 5,
    Registrant Street: Raj Nagar Part I
    Registrant City: New Delhi
    Registrant State/Province: Delhi

There are many Microsoft sites that have the information on how to compact and archive PST files.
    Last edited by jwoods; 2015-06-05 at 03:09.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jwoods For This Useful Post:

satrow (2015-06-05)

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Nope, it’s not mine. I only share the information which I supposed to be informative or shareable and MSOutlookTool is one of them. Yes, I favor it a bit because the articles which I get here are entirety definitive somewhat. On the flip side, I also do sharing of other articles like Microsoft KB sources, blogs written by MVPs and experts.

Thanks & Regards
    Clark Kent