New Lounger
    Thanks

TPM for Bitlocker, do I not have one?

I upgrade to Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate in the hope of changing my OS language and getting BitLocker.
    However, my Bitlocker options are greyed out in terms of choosing unlocking mechanism. I can do USB key thing.
    After doing some research, I need to enable TPM on BIOS and have a "Security Devices" under "My Computer" > "Device Manager".

I have 3 computers and two of them seem to have a "Security Device" under "Device Manager."
    However the third one doesn't.

Is there any other way of getting TPM in? or is this something I have no other options on?

cross-posted in http://www.sevenforums.com/newthread...=newthread&f=2

jwoods
    TPM requires a compatible microchip and BIOS before you can enable it...

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/...=ws.10%29.aspx
    Last edited by jwoods; 2015-06-05 at 02:52.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I too was interested in Bitlocker and the Trusted Platform Module.

However I must warn you fairly: Although this provides a very secure encryption system, it's serious. You lose flexibility in some common use cases and failure scenarios. The sort of flexibility we've become accustomed to in PC's.

For instance, suppose you upgrade your computer and want to mount the old hard drive in the new system. Nope, can't do that. The TPM no longer matches what the drive was told to expect. The drive interprets this as tampering with the TPM and you'll be locked out of the drive (basically the drive thinks you're an attacker).

Also, never forget your password! You'll be locked out of the drive permanently with no way to recover it. Your only hope then is that you have a recent backup to restore from. Although I suspect the "password recovery device" system still works as well.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yea, I'm just going to look for a TPM next time I order a new computer. Didn't know about this whole TPM until now.
    Luckily two of my main computers do have it.
    Plus I'm heavily backed up to my cloud drives so my high availability for personal computer recovery is very nice!
    haha. (Microsoft forced me to be this way by having "restore to factory default" the only viable option in fixing most window problems. Win8 is must better though).

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    See if the NSA will let you use their backdoor. :-D

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yep, I already know all closed source encryption programs have backdoors.
    I've given up trying to hide from nsa a loong time ago. No one has the capacity to avoid nsa.
    I'm only trying to avoid being snooped on by average thieves on street.
    Even if you use open-source, makers of "flame" will find one way or the other.
    I just don't have anything on my computer that would offend my US Gov.
    Lol stay legal.